Biggest ERRORS shooters make ZEROING RIFLES
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Biggest ERRORS shooters make ZEROING RIFLES

Member #
    Liked
    18491 times
    Interesting but at the same time, not all factual.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    14858 times
    I first decide what distances I'll be using the rifle. Based on that I select a zero distance which takes into consideration sight over bore and muzzle velocity. Once that is settled I head to the range. I'll pick a rock or clump of weed on a dirt bank, then fire #1 and watch for the dirt splat. Adjust scope accordingly. Next I'll fire #2 at paper. Adjust accordingly. Then I'll fire #3,#4,#5 for a group. Adjust accordingly. #6 will be on the money.

Some may wonder why I first shoot at a rock on a dirt bank. It allows me to be reasonably assured that my second shot will be on paper rather than the hunter who blows through a box of 7mm mag and curses that he's not on paper yet. Some guys use laser boresighters and other methods of looking down the bore.
    powrguy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18491 times
    I don't have to go to the 'range'. I own the range.....lol
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5908 times
    I have my LGS Bore Sight the rifle to at least get me on paper. Then go to the range and turn knobs and waste a box of ammo.

I only make one adjustment at a time. Windage or elevation Fire three shots.
    powrguy likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    6189 times
    Books can be written on zeroing rifles and optics. When testing a rifle and optic accuracy, the goal is to take the shooter out of the equation. Using a good bench rest helps do that.

Any slight pressure on the barrel can change harmonics and accuracy. Yes, the rifle should always be rested on the forearm. Rifles with two part stocks like lever-actions, pump-actions, semi-autos, and single shots are usually not target rifles because the forearm attaches to the barrel and presses differently on the barrel and changes the point of impact. They are great for hunting accuracy at closer range. A five inch group at 100 yards is still minute of deer heart.

Your hand or fingers should never touch the barrel. I recommend a shooter place the arm and hand usually holding the forearm flat on the table for support. A thumb on top of the barrel can change the barrel harmonics and therefore the point of impact.

Ideally, the barrel should be free-floated. Any barrel heats up with consecutive shots and will warp. If the forearm is touching the barrel when cold, it will amplify the movement when hot.

When hunting, everyone ignores all of this and it usually doesn't matter under 200 yards.
    Ratzo likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    18491 times
    I could write pages on internal and external ballistics and how it equates to downrange accuracy as well as optics mounting but I won't. Suffice to say that I can make just about quality rifle shoot sub MOA at 250 yards. Do it all the time. Probably why I get various rifles to accurize.
    Daryl......

Member #
    Liked
    9206 times
    ROBERT @ OKC USA

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    NON REVERTAR INULTUS.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

Member #
    Liked
    9206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    I don't see nuffin..
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DFORMULA View Post
    Nor do I, again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-oc3Fz6kpHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EO80iqOyE
    ROBERT @ OKC USA

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    NON REVERTAR INULTUS.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links