School Me on Moon Clips
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: School Me on Moon Clips

Member #
    Liked
    31706 times

School Me on Moon Clips

Forum member Forester posted up a beautiful model 625 for sale and I was able to reach a purchase agreement with him. I have never owned, shot or handled a gun that uses moon clips before. What all do I need to know? I will be ordering some so I will have them when the gun arrives. I see there are both steel and polymer ones out there. Are the polymer ones any good?
    Are there any brands to avoid? Where can I find them for the best price? Quite a while back, I think one of the forum members posted a moon clip loader that they had made. If so I would like more info on it. Is there an advantage to using half moon clips?
    I was getting low on 45acp and spent the last half of June loading some up so I should be ready to go when the revolver gets here. Right now everything I have is loaded with a 230gr plated RN bullet. I sold off my 45 caliber Hipoint carbine to help fund the 625. I hate to sell guns but a S&W in place of a Hipoint is definitely an upgrade!
    hogg, gearchecker, Mac23 and 8 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10174 times
    I've got moon clips from just about every company that makes them and they all work well. The secret to keeping them working is to not bend them. A clip loader, either bought or made really makes the job easier and reduces the chance of bending.
    jonesy814, hogg, msharley and 6 others like this.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    10887 times
    The key to moon clips is to have enough for a fun trip to the range without having to fool with them. If your usual shooting session involves 50 rounds then moon up 50 rounds at home and take them with you. Demoon when you get home. It pays to buy a good tool for loading clips and make your own de-mooner from 1/2" copper tubing. BTW you may be wise to double your usual range trip round count. These guns are just a blast to shoot and it's pretty easy to send 200 rounds down the pipe before you realize it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    hogg, msharley, legelegel and 7 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33023 times
    What to know ? They are a pain in the patootie .

I only have one gun that requires moon clips , and I don't shoot it much .

Watch this guy's video for a basic understanding - easy peasie ...........

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...3&action=click

Regards
    George
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    5403 times
    Dillon sells a mooner that I have been meaning to try
    Hogg

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26547 times
    Be prepared to slice and punch tiny little holes in your fingers and thumbs before you get the hang of loading them.
    I find moon clips to be a pain to load and unload, but it makes reloading the revolvers so easy, you'll wonder why they didn't have moon clips on all revolvers.
    I prefer steel moon clips simply because they last longer and don't get bent out of shape very easily.(Not unlike me)

Enjoy your new wheelgun, and be sure to give us your impressions once you're back from that first range session.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    31706 times
    Quote Originally Posted by series guy View Post
    The key to moon clips is to have enough for a fun trip to the range without having to fool with them. If your usual shooting session involves 50 rounds then moon up 50 rounds at home and take them with you. Demoon when you get home. It pays to buy a good tool for loading clips and make your own de-mooner from 1/2" copper tubing. BTW you may be wise to double your usual range trip round count. These guns are just a blast to shoot and it's pretty easy to send 200 rounds down the pipe before you realize it.
    I intend to have enough clips for 100 or more rounds so I can clip them before heading out. Sounds like I will need a couple dozen at a minimum

Member #
    Liked
    7051 times
    I do not have a loader, but I bought an inexpensive demooner from Wilson that woks very well and really helps in avoiding any issues. As you probably know, you can also use auto rim brass and avoid all of the issues with moon clips. Just need another shell holder. I did buy another set of dies because my old ones could only be set for a regular crimp and I wanted to try a taper crimp for my 1911's. Not sure it makes any real difference. You will need lots of ammo for that 625 though. Wonderful revolvers.

Member #
    Liked
    14145 times

Cool Shoot the Moon!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    I intend to have enough clips for 100 or more rounds so I can clip them before heading out. Sounds like I will need a couple dozen at a minimum
    Hey Jonesy,

First, just get 100 Full Moon Clips from Revolver Supply.........George Martin is a real pleasure to deal with. Supplies for the Revolver Enthusiast He also has a variety of moon clip loading and un loading tools. The Clips will run you about $40 for 100 or $.40/@ They last a lifetime, if you don't bend them.

For un "clipping" I use a "De Mooner" from Dillon at Dillon Precision

Revolver brass is REVOLVER BRASS! I use Starline +P. The "nicks" and "dents" a 1911 puts on the case head, will not permit the cylinder to turn.

Primers must be seated below flush.

I "de bulge" all my .45 acp brass, made a de bulger similar to this Case Master JR Rimless Case Sizer - Magma Engineering Company (will take pics, if you need them) out of a Harbor Freight Arbor Press, a Lee FCD and a Lee Case Feeder. Can "de bulge" about 1,000/hr, not trying too hard.

Powder. Highly recommend CLAYS powder. Light charge weight. Very accurate. CLEAN BURNING! SINGLE BASE POWDER!

Primer. Fed 150.

Bullet. Most 25's and 625's shoot the 230gr LRN WITH THE GREASE GROOVE AND FRONT DRIVING BAND very well. Quick re load, as well.

All .45 caliber revolvers that I have fooled with shoot the 255gr LSWC (short snout) with EXCEPTIONAL ACCURACY! (slow reload)

Crimp Die. Highly recommend the Lee FCD!

I have been fooling with 25's and 625's for a looooooooooooooong time. Have enough full moon clips, that I can clip up over 2,000 rds.

Always have some that: need "de mooning", some that need "mooned", some in the "Go Box".......... Is a system that "works" for me.

Cleaning the clips. You can tumble them, or clean them with a "soft" wire wheel on the "slow speed" of the drill press.

Let me see if I have any pics? The powder coated bullets, pictured with the 8-3/8" 625 have the "grease groove and front driving band". Much more accurate than bullets without them.

Later, Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    10887 times
    I agree with Mark on everything except brass. All my brass is range pick-up brass processed normally with Lee dies. I also seat and crimp with the same die. Both my 625s chamber and fire every round i've ever made. Any dents that the dies don't remove get fire formed out I guess. Mark is spot on with regards to loads. Those 230LRN bullets shoot a one hole group.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links