• 1 Post By Tazman1602

Thread: Imgur test picture

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times

Imgur test picture

Here goes nothing! Brand new 686 wife made me get after an almost disastrous breakage of another brand new pistol --- not Ruger Colt or Kimber it scared her bad enough she got me to promise to buy a Smith, Ruger (I am a Ruger nut..) or other pistol she knew wouldn't break and kill me. She actually picked this out after feeling the trigger and stating that "this pistol just exudes quality Artie. She was right!

Test pic:

Name:  maEsB4G.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  805.0 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24511 times
    You'll like the 686.

What firearm failed, and how did it fail?
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    40600 times
    Yessir, S&Ws are just that sweet! No flies on Ruger (and I own several) but S&W just has that next level up craftsmanship.

Have that similar feeling when I stepped out of my Ranger 5-speed manual, and into a BMW Z4 5-speed. Just slipping it into first had a whole other feel to it - no slop, crisp, clean, precise. That is one fun car to throw around - hands down keeps me feeling younger (and younger don't mind getting felt!).

Would definitely like to know what brand failed!
    Injunbro likes this.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times

Oh boy...

Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    You'll like the 686.

What firearm failed, and how did it fail?
    Was hoping to avoid this as I don't like putting down a gun that has a pretty good reputation but since you asked....

The revolver in question was a Uberti 1873 birds head, nickel plated (gorgeous...) 3.5" barreled 357 mag. Out of the box it was nice. GREAT lockup, wonderful trigger, handled nice and did I mention pretty?

Got to the indoor range, loaded a cylinder and the first 3 shots were great -- very accurate also. On shot 4 something didn't feel right but all cylinders fired. Still didn't feel right. Checked pistol, felt ok but funky if you know what I mean.

First two shots out of fresh cylinder didn't feel right so I STOPPED....thank God. Now I'm in TOTAL lockup ---- with 4 live rounds in chamber. Hammer wouldn't cock, cylinder wouldn't spin, cylinder would not come out even. Now I'm very leary. *carefully* wiggled cylinder and got remaining rounds out. Now there's ZERO lockup when there should be. Hammer would cock but cylinder had 1/2" (or so it seemed to me because I'm thinking my hand could have been badly hurt..) of play and pistol would not operate properly.

I had only bought it a week before and store was mortified when they looked at. Only thing I can guess is spring under hand or hand itself must have let go. Whatever it was for a brand new pistol to do that was unacceptable.

I REALLY was thankful when I looked at primer strikes on last two shells fired. Firing pin struck *almost* on the brass where primer pocket is located. Severe timing issue of some kind....1mm more and my username might have been stumpy. Really disappointed in the company, I think I have picture of primer.....

Sad part is, like I said company has a good reputation but I will never ever ever buy another one from them.

Art

Primer strike:

Name:  za96noC.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  263.4 KB

Member #
    Liked
    40600 times
    You one lucky man Art! Lotto ticket time?? Yessir real lucky that round didn't go off - could have ruptured the frame and done your hand a mess of hurt.

I've heard good things about Uberti as well - very likely just that one spring in 10,000,000 that had a metallurgical flaw and snapped. Please let us know what the resolution was - did you get a new replacement, did they send it in for repair? And where is this Jay's Sporting? Sounds like an outfit worth dealing with.

I suspect members here will give you their unvarnished opinions on their Ubertis - good, bad or indifferent. I don't have one, but have contemplated getting one.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdismukes View Post
    You one lucky man Art! Lotto ticket time?? Yessir real lucky that round didn't go off - could have ruptured the frame and done your hand a mess of hurt.

I've heard good things about Uberti as well - very likely just that one spring in 10,000,000 that had a metallurgical flaw and snapped. Please let us know what the resolution was - did you get a new replacement, did they send it in for repair? And where is this Jay's Sporting? Sounds like an outfit worth dealing with.

I suspect members here will give you their unvarnished opinions on their Ubertis - good, bad or indifferent. I don't have one, but have contemplated getting one.
    You aren't kidding man. It was Jays Sporting goods in Gaylord, MI. They didn't even question me when they looked at it -- they almost never do, great place to do business with.

End result was I got full credit for the purchase which is how I ended up with a brand new 686 357 mag wife picked out for me. VERY glad I did not buy the Uberti from Gunbroker....

Art
    sdismukes likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24511 times
    Anything mechanical can fail. Same thing with loaded ammo - even from the factory. Safety mechanisms can fail. It's why the basic safety rules are so important, and also why I dissuade students from holstering options that leave the holstered muzzle pointing at other people or across your own flesh.

When I teach firearm safety, these are a couple of areas I go over with students. If it feels "funny" stop. If the round doesn't fire or detonates oddly, stop and check for a squib after 30 seconds. Even with that you see occasional "kaboom" failures, with a range of injuries involved.

We're dealing with 30,000 PSI pressures. You don't have a "feel" for that kind of energy.

Mechanical failure in a new gun is always a tangible risk, and does say something about the quality control rigor of the factory. Every manufacturer has failures. The more important issue is determining if the failure is related to a weakness of the design or engineering. The design helps deal with single point of failure issues.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Links