Another 200 rounds through my new K22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Another 200 rounds through my new K22

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Thanks, all. Don't let anyone tell you that a .22 rimfire is too light for cans!

On another topic (may start a new thread), I use Honda moly lube on the splines of my BMW R1200RT for "high temp, high pressure spline lube." I wonder if it would smooth out the insides or a S&W revolver. Anyone tried this? I need the wisdom of the experienced folks here.

Member #
    Liked
    11327 times
    I think it would be way too thick. A light lube with something like Ballistol would be more appropriate.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26866 times
    Good shooting.....
    Lubrication in a revolver as finely built as these are is really important. Your Honda lube is more than likely too thick. You need to stick with lubrication specifically designed for guns. I like Remington gun oil myself. Many others like Hoppe's gun oil. Frog lube is another I would recommend. The K-22 will never produce enough heat to need that type of lubrication your Honda lube provides at high temps., in the lock works.

On another note, it is very important to keep the revolver clean to continue to operate perfectly, especially in the cylinder, and behind the star cluster.
    After every shooting session, and sometimes during a shooting session be sure to completely clean out each and every cylinder hole. the K-22 has some pretty tight tolerances, and believe it or not just 1 grain of powder in the wrong place can stop the revolver completely from working. Sometimes the cylinder will jam, or won't open when the release lever is pushed.
    Most of those issues are from gunpowder forming behind the star ejector cluster and the back face of the cylinder itself. So be sure to keep that area as clean as possible all the time.
    The gunpowder that gets in there is usually from minute amounts of powder falling out of the cartridge and lodging behind the star when the spent cartridges are ejected.
    This is not an uncommon condition. You can read many threads here discussing this issue with just about every type of revolver S&W produces. But the K-22 is possibly the most sensitive of them all because of the tolerances necessary to ensure the rimfire cartridges will fire the first time, every time.

There is a lot to be learned with revolvers over the knowledge of semi-auto pistols. Many of us are here simply because of some small issues we had to deal with, and the members here have been awesome at helping work thru those issues without making the new guys feel as if they did something wrong, or stupid.

I'm glad to see you here, and I hope to see you become an active member here along with the rest of us.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Sportymonk likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2948 times
    Thanks Gearchecker, I had no idea about the tight tolerances and all. Great info.
    As a USAF Officer, I took an oath to defend this country against all enemies, domestic and foreign. It was not an oath to follow the president or any political leader. It was an oath to obey and defend the United States Constitution. Whether or not I still wear the uniform, That oath never ends.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26866 times
    To me one of the biggest pains with my K-22 is having fired cartridges getting stuck in the cylinder, and not being able to eject them easily.
    I was told by an old sage here (no names revealed) to keep my cylinder super clean all the time, and since taking his advice here I haven't had any issues with sticking cartridges.
    I keep a 22 caliber cotton brush lightly dampened with Hoppe's #9 with me at every range session, so if I think the cylinder might be getting dirty, I just run the brush thru it a couple times, and then I'm back to shooting without any worries.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Any day sending lead is a great day. 17s are wonderful revolvers. Glad you enjoyed the day. I will say the only thing more fun than shooting 200 rounds is shooting 300 or 400.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    An update for those interested....

After careful consideration, I took the hammer, trigger and trigger return slide out of my K22 17-9. I did not take a stone to them, but coated the relevant surfaces in the frame and on the parts as well with Dri Slide. All pins, frame surfaces, contact points, etc, including the inside spring passage of the rebound slide got the moly treatment. I then let everything dry for an hour before reassembly.

After carefully putting everything back together, I am seeing 8 lbs 8 oz. on the double action trigger pull and 2.5 lbs on a nice crisp single action pull—all measured on a “cheapo” analog trigger pull gauge (to be transparent). I am pleased with the improvement, and trigger pull smoothness is about a 9 on a subjective scale of 1-10. I am happy the way it is and plan to shoot it for a while before I take the side plate off again (if ever). As before, my strain screw is backed of 1/2 turn and purple loctited. I have previously checked it for reliability at that setting and will not be backing it out further, as I don’t want to deal with misfires. I am pleased with the results and ready to go have fun for a while. Great learning experience!

Member #
    Liked
    8129 times
    A fine .22 LR S&W revolver. A brick of good .22 LR ammo. Time at the range with a target right environment. You are blessed. Sincerely. bruce.

Member #
    Liked
    1016 times
    Bruce is 100% right! Any time at the range, the smell of powder burning, a delightful time. Good shooting. Hank

Member #
    Liked
    17994 times
    That's good shooting, the cans 25 yards out. I'd be lucky to do that at 15 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links