• 1 Post By series guy
  • 1 Post By 1av8r

Thread: Model 41 failure to extract/eject

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Model 41 failure to extract/eject

Greetings all.

I have a late 70's vintage Model 41 (no cocking indicator). I bought it used a few years ago. The round count was unknown but the gun looked to be in very good/excellent condition. I replaced the recoil spring after I bought the gun and shot a couple of thousand rounds.

Originally, I was getting good results with CCI standard velocity. However, during the last two range sessions, I started having major extraction and ejection issues. The spent casings would either get hung up in the ejection port or simply remain in the chamber (the case is not stuck in the chamber per say, as it can be easily extracted by manually cycling the slide). The last range session, it got so bad that I would have an FTE on every single shot.

The gun is clean. I tried different magazines, with the same result. I even tried CCI ammo from two different lots to eliminate the possibility of underpowered ammo. There is no visible damage to any component of the pistol, including the extractor claw. The extractor appears to have a decent amount of tension (though admittedly I don't know how "tense" the extractor is supposed to be on a Model 41).

I would welcome any thoughts on what the issue might be.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    40574 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    25302 times
    Welcome to the forum.

It should cycle properly with standard velocity .22lr ammo.

I don't have mine nearby, but the first thing I'd check is the extractor and if there is dirt interfering with it's operation.

Here's some discussion:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=915346

They talk about everything from loose barrels to drag on the slide. Check that the chamber itself is clean and smooth inside.

These can be finicky direct blow back actions. Too much lube can drag things as well as too little. The magazine itself can impact cycling.
    Last edited by mrerick; 01-02-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2961 times
    I bet the slide stop ejector assemble needs to be replaced. Call Smith & Wesson, they should send one for free and you can install it. Or send it in for repairs.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    10827 times
    I had the same issue with mine last year. I replaced the extractor and thoroughly cleaned the gun with no improvement. So I polished the chamber and the gun returned to 100% flawless function.
    Hunter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Sounds like there could be a carbon ring in the chamber. check google on how to clean the ring out then try shooting her. polishing the chamber will definitely get the ring out. One of the best ways of checking the chamber is the plop test. Take the barrel off the pistol. Then with the barrel pointing down, take a live 22lr round and drop it into the chamber. It should go all the way in and kind of make a plopping sound. It should completely seat all the way to the rim of the cartridge. Then turn the barrel chamber end pointing down, the round should fall out with no problems. If it does not pass this test you will need to polish the chamber till it does. Since yours was working fine from the start probably just needs a really good carbon ring cleaning. Easiest way to keep that ring out of 22's is to clean them after every use. I use a bore snake after every use.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Member #
    Liked
    13275 times
    Time to buy a new gun. Send the subject gun to me and I'll deal with it.
    You're welcome.
    Hunter likes this.
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

Member #
    Liked
    13896 times
    Could be ammo. The rim thickness varies from Mfg to Mfg. Dirt and ejector/extractor too? fwiw

Member #
    Liked
    7026 times
    Lots of good info on the Rimfire Central site. Most common advice is to clean the chamber with a .25 caliber brush. helped mine.

Member #
    Liked
    6187 times
    Dirty chamber. On a blowback the case is assisted out of the chamber by the gas "blow back", the extractor then hooks it to toss it out of the gun.

Clean and polish the chamber.

Try a few HV ammo rounds if those work then you know the issue.
    NRA Certified RSO

Links