The name's Fox ... John Fox
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times

The name's Fox ... John Fox

Ok .. all you guys out there. This is a romantic story, so you might just want to skip it. But there are a couple of funny bits, so it might be worth it!

The name I was given at birth, or as I call it, my bachelor name, was John Lloyd Callaway. That's right, it was not John Fox. This is a story that explains how that all changed.

When Brenda and I were dating and starting to talk about getting married, she was a little bit concerned about the whole thing. For one, her first two attempts at this had not been of the 'white picket fence with 2 1/2 kids Ozzie and Harriet' type. Neither had my first marriage, but maybe only one doesn't make you gun shy.

The other was this moving to Phoenix thing. Brenda and I grew up in a small rural town called Eaton, Ohio. It had 6,000 people then, and hasn't really changed much in the last 50 years or so. Which I'm sure suits the folk there just fine. While I was out and about exploring new parts of the United States, specifically Maine and Phoenix, Brenda stayed mostly put in that area. At the time, she was working at a wonderful construction company and had been there for 13 years. She still saw her high school friends from time to time. And much of her family still lived in the area.

Me .. I had no roots. While I loved Phoenix, it was just a place to hang my hat. The longest job I ever had was 7 years, but most of them 2 or 3 years. I had no family in Phoenix, Maine, or Ohio, what with kids growing up, brothers moving around, and my mother moving to the Atlanta area.

So, there we were. We had decided that it made sense for Brenda to move to Phoenix, since I had a great job and a house and the job market in Cincinnati wasn't all that great. But as you could imagine, her entire world was going to turn upside down. She was going to a place where she didn't now anyone, didn't have a job, and would have to depend on me at first just to get around. For those unfamiliar, the Phoenix metropolitan area encompasses an area larger than the state of New Jersey, and holds over three million people. Quite a shift for someone who grew up in a small rural town where the highlight of the year is the annual Pork Festival, and a town where I used to peddle an ice cream cart all over in the summer for my spending money.

It hit me one day ... Brenda was giving up everything, and I was giving up nothing. She was giving up her job, friends, apartment, and family. I would still be living in the same house, have the same friends and job, and my family wasn't around anyway. The only change would be I would have to give up half my closet space and half of my bed.

Talk about having the upper hand!! It wasn't that Brenda didn't trust me, it was just a little bit daunting. On top of all of that, Brenda had just changed her name BACK to her maiden name. She had been through this name change thing several times already.

So I decided to give up something I had had all of my life. She didn't ask me, it just came to me.

I gave up my name. I took her name to show her how important this was to me, and to show her that she and I would be equal. It would be her house, she would share my friends. That offer was all it took to soothe her fears. Her prior husband had been unwilling to let it become 'her' house. He was secretive and just not a good partner. My willingness to do this showed her that I would not be like her prior husbands, that her needs and desires would have the same weight as my own, and maybe even come before them.

Little did I know that it would really become her house, and my garage. But I'm quite happy with that arrangement.

Now, as I said before, guys find this story a little befuddling. They assume I was hen pecked into it, or that I was just a wimp and gave in to some serious threats. 'No hanky-panky unless you take my name!!!' type of stuff.

Ok guys ... here is something that seems to help guys understand this.

You know those spy movies with the British actor?? Remember his accent?? Say the following with that accent and it becomes clearer...and toss a few marbles into your mouth at the same time. He seemed to talk that way.

The name's Fox ... John Fox.

While that may not have been the original reason behind the name change, it sure is a nice benefit. And now I don't get asked every time I go to a new golf course whether or not I get free golf clubs.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

willie

Re: The name's Fox ... John Fox

Good show, and you got a good name to boot! You could actually sign that across a check with a spray can, however my old friend back in Md. had a slightly better name. Bob Cox. Even I can spell that one!

Willie

Member #
    Liked
    437 times

Quote Originally Posted by willie
    Good show, and you got a good name to boot! You could actually sign that across a check with a spray can, however my old friend back in Md. had a slightly better name. Bob Cox. Even I can spell that one!
    Willie
    hehe ... I came back to my desk one day after lunch and had a note to call 'Hugh Cox'. I didn't see it quite right, and had a very difficult time calling him back without snickering. Or misspeaking.

And my signature has become almost legible!
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26218 times

John,
    Great story how you got the last name. It's certainly one you can live with the rest your life. You didn't give up anything when you married Brenda from what I'm reading. Seems she got the good end of that deal.

I did something similar.
    Born Gregory Quinn with the last name of Loser (Pronounced LOW SIR) yeah, right!

Got mad one day and dropped it. Now it's just Gregory Quinn. Did it right in the middle of my divorce so it had to wait till that was over. 3 days after the divorce was finalized I was back in court getting my name changed. I've never looked back since that day.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    54772 times

Little did I know that it would really become her house, and my garage. But I'm quite happy with that arrangement.

Very nice! I grew up around some Amish folks who had a saying, "A big barn, he's the boss - a big house, she's the boss". I never met an unhappy Amish man though. Of course if you have a big garage... I'll bet your kindness to her has paid off.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Links