How the Gift of a Marlin Golden 39M was Instrumental in Changing My Life
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: How the Gift of a Marlin Golden 39M was Instrumental in Changing My Life

Member #
    Liked
    50 times

How the Gift of a Marlin Golden 39M was Instrumental in Changing My Life

Name:  20141003-Marlin_39M.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  3.53 MB

Christmas Morning, 1975
    December 25, 1975 was a fairly typical Christmas day with my family. Even though I was 14 years old, Christmas still held a special mystery for me. Maybe because I was the youngest of 4 siblings, it always seemed like something extra special would happen that justified the waiting and the wondering. My oldest brother was still single and he was there early that morning. He may have spent the night but I canít be certain. As was typical in our household, there were unwrapped presents under the tree that morning marked ďFrom SantaĒ even though it had been several years since anyone believed in Santa Claus. Once we worked through the unwrapped gifts and everyone had opened the wrapped gifts, we would usually go around and admire the other items that family members had received. My mom and dad would usually refill their coffee and someone would tell a harrowing shopping story about how they stood in line for a long period of time and the item they wanted to buy was sold out right as they were approaching the front of the line, or some other typical, urban ďadventure.Ē At some point, there would be a lull in the conversation and then everyone would spring into action, putting up their gifts or gathering up wrapping paper. My mom would usually go back in the kitchen to work on the Christmas feast. On this particular Christmas, that lull had arrived and I thought my dad was going to instruct us to start the cleanup process. Instead, he looked at me with no expression on his face and said: ďI think you might have one more present, why donít you go look in my closet.Ē I leapt up with nervous excitement and ran back to my mom & dadís bedroom and opened the door to my dadís perfectly organized closet. There was never anything out of place in my dadís closet. It was a picture of precision with everything always in its place and every inch of space utilized perfectly. This made it quite easy to spot the one item that was out of place: a short, army-green, rifle case. I couldnít believe my eyes and I grabbed the heavy, canvas case and ran back into the den where my dad and the rest of the family was waiting. My dad was grinning from ear to ear and my mom looked as surprised as I was when she saw what I had retrieved from dadís closet. I was so excited that I unzipped the case while holding it upside down and out slid the most beautiful gift I had ever received: A Marlin, Golden 39M Scout, lever action, .22LR, rimfire rifle. I was joyously stunned and my mom was slightly dismayed that my dad had given me a gun. I think my dad enjoyed the consternation of my mom almost as much as he enjoyed my rapturous delight. My oldest brother then gave me a 500 round brick of Winchester, Super-X .22LR ammunition. My dad helped my oldest brother do his shopping that Christmas Eve and they had stopped in at a Service Merchandise. My dad had seen me ogle the .22 rifles there on more than one occasion and they just happened to have the Marlin 39M on sale. This was the rifle I had admired above all the others and never thought I would actually own one. Especially not in 1975!

An Act of Grace, Borne from Love
    1975 was the culmination of a series of 4 or 5 rough years in a row for me. My dad and I had a rocky relationship at the time, primarily because of my rebellion. I was especially surprised by my dadís kindness given this dynamic in our home. My dad demonstrated grace to me. I didnít deserve it and actually deserved just the opposite. My dad, while I was yet in rebellion to him, showed his love for me by this simple act of grace: he gave me a material possession that I wanted, probably more than any other, and showed me that he was going to love me even through my acts of rebellion. I professed faith in Christ a few months later and my life changed dramatically because of the transforming power of the Gospel. I canít help but think that God used this act of love to prepare my heart for the truth of the Gospel.

How much more has God demonstrated His love for His children;

Mathew 7:11

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him! (NASB)

Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (NASB)
    Last edited by jertex; 09-17-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    Jerry
    1 Smith & Wesson revolver & counting

Member #
    Liked
    6538 times
    Had a similar Christmas morning experience when I was 11. I had been tagging along during deer season for several years. I carried a single shot 12 ga. Iver Johnson but had a desire for a 30-30 Winchester like the one my Uncle Norman carried. Well Christmas morning came and went and I was happy with everything "Santa" brought me. Aunt Christina , uncle Norman and cousin Tina came for Christmas dinner. After dinner we went into the living room to exchange gifts. ( kids only ). But there was a long narrow wrapped box under the tree with my name on it. To my surprise and great joy my parents got that coveted Winchester for me! That was in 1961 and I still have that rifle. I call it "The Meat Stick". It has served me well over time.
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23127 times
    It may have looked like a Marlin 39M .22LR rifle, but it was actually your father's gift of trust and confidence...
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie686 View Post
    Had a similar Christmas morning experience when I was 11. I had been tagging along during deer season for several years. I carried a single shot 12 ga. Iver Johnson but had a desire for a 30-30 Winchester like the one my Uncle Norman carried. Well Christmas morning came and went and I was happy with everything "Santa" brought me. Aunt Christina , uncle Norman and cousin Tina came for Christmas dinner. After dinner we went into the living room to exchange gifts. ( kids only ). But there was a long narrow wrapped box under the tree with my name on it. To my surprise and great joy my parents got that coveted Winchester for me! That was in 1961 and I still have that rifle. I call it "The Meat Stick". It has served me well over time.
    +1
    jertex likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    Amen sir!
    jertex likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    410 times
    I had a similar experience only mine was in 1962 when I was 14. My "special gift" was a Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle. They were supposed to sell for $59.99 but my dad had a friend that had a wholesale business so he was able to get it for a bit less. Even so, it was a huge gift as he operated his own business and money was particularly tight then. My mother, also, was somewhat agast at my getting my "own" real rifle but she and my dad both had enough faith in me that I would not do anything dangerous or reckless with the rifle. Some how, some way, I managed to keep the "66" all these years and it is still sitting quietly in my closet waiting for the next tin can or squirrel that needs to be dealt with! Good memories!
    jertex, Injunbro, jeepnut and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3833 times
    What a great story. God has a wonderful way of showing His goodness to us. God used your father to show you His goodness and mercy. GOD IS GOOD—ALL THE TIME.
    Injunbro, charles and jertex like this.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    38770 times
    Fine story and rifle, the Marlin 39 is a great rifle!
    jertex likes this.
    Everything that happens is either endurable or not. If itís endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If itís unendurable . . . then stop complaining. Your destruction will mean its end as well.

Member #
    Liked
    7689 times
    THIS is why I first came to this forum. THIS is why I remain. What a wonderful celebration of a fathers investment of mercy in the life of his son and the dividends that continue to be paid on that investment. Sincerely. bruce.

O4L
    Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Great story!

I was also 14 when Christmas of 1975 came around. I don't remember what I got that year but it sure wasn't a Marlin 39!
    jertex likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links