.45 ACP vs. .40 S&W vs. .357 mag revolver
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .45 ACP vs. .40 S&W vs. .357 mag revolver

Member #
    Liked
    14661 times

.45 ACP vs. .40 S&W vs. .357 mag revolver

Just wondering how these stack-up against each other as a self defense round, both in the woods or the city streets. In other words.....for a general all around carry weapon? I carry a .38/.357 revolver, for everything! Would one of these be a better choice in a big bore semi-auto? Not that I'm going to change any time soon.......I was just wondering. Bob

Member #
    Liked
    17636 times
    This has the information I think you arte looking for:

THE STOPPING POWER OF DIFFERENT HANDGUN CARTRIDGES
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988 now Endowment, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    8129 times
    All right... I'll bite. When I'm out in the woods, either just walking and looking or maybe camping, I carry my 4" 686. I've been using a .38/.357 for 30 years. I'm familiar with it. I have confidence in what it can do. Short of standing off an assault by the minions of hell, I figure it would do everything I need/want to do. With a couple of speed-loaders, I'd be ready to go. I do a lot of walking around town... often in the evenings after dark when the heat drops. I slip my G-22 into my front pants pocket and figure it will handle anything on two or four legs I might encounter. I carry it is condition 3... which I know to some is anathema. But it suits me. The first pistol I ever bought was a COLT Combat Commander in .45 ACP. I love the round. My 625-2 is a wonderful outstanding revolver. But for actual carry... no. The foregoing of course simply reflects my own opinion and practice. It is not inspired writ from God. But, it suits me. P.S.... On occasion I've been known to stick my hairy chest out and take on all comers with nothing more than a .22 LR Model 18 on my hip! It's works! Just aim small.. miss... well you know!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2796 times
    This is a question with no answer...........or MANY answers depending on point of view. Hatcher had a study, the FBI has done studies, Strossberg study that shot goats, however I lean to the Marshall & Snowe study on actual emergency room numbers. They call the .357 in 125gr JHP the top dog.

Member #
    Liked
    14661 times
    RD, I guess that ....bigger is better! But, you have to be able to shoot it as effectively, too. The semi-autos do reduce the felt recoil....so that is also a consideration. Bob

Member #
    Liked
    129 times

.45 acp

Bob,

My 2 cents.

I have new respect for the 45. I think in at least some situations, we may have too much penetration. In my home made of stucco, I think I would rather go slow velocity, and heavier bullet. There are a few guns chambered for it which might be acceptable for CCW use.

I bought a Ruger SP101 in .327 federal magnum, just for CCW use. It will likely see service out on the open road and on my bike. I am slightly concerned about using it where over penetration might be an issue. Using low recoil self defense rounds in it, to slow it down a bit.

My wife has a .357 snubnose I bought years ago. Good for her car on trips. Buying her a shotgun for home use. Again, penetration is the issue.

For her .357, using standard .38 silver tips, for less recoil, muzzle blast and to tone it down a bit. I want her to hit what she points at.

All of that said, I think the .357 is considered by experts to be the hands down favorite. I believe those experts feel that the .357 is about the hottest round some people can master.

Even a .25 auto can stop someone, with perfect bullet placement. But if they are hiding behind something, a .357 is probably going to punch through it. I believe every round you mentioned is considered a stopper. I would vote .45 for overall, for me. I do not have a .40, so cannot speak to it. They clearly are popular with police, and there must be a reason.

Dart

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    Well I'll start with the big one .45ACP. Its been doing its job for over 100yrs, so that gives it some merit. Plus lots of deer have been cleanly killed here in Oklahoma.
    Next, and I hope to be around to see its hundredth birthday. Developed from the .38spl./38-44 cartridge its survived where others have failed. Its a great little woods gun if paired up with a model 92 or Marlin 1894c. Either revolver or rifle will work really well loaded with .38spl+P.
    Last, Gaston Glock is a good salesman!
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Well, from that post on power factor, looks like my choice in .40 S&W was the right one. RDLouks, thanks for the link.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Member #
    Liked
    10926 times
    7.63 Mauser
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azmick View Post
    7.63 Mauser
    Sounds good, but not too many of us are lucky enough to own a C96 or early P08's before the Germans changed the chambering. How about the 7.62x25 maybe? Now some of those are still floating around.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links