Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .45 ACP vs. .40 S&W vs. .357 mag revolver

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41664 times
    Whichever one you are best with!

I favor the .357 Magnum, but everybody will have their own opinion. The fun thing about the question is that with modern loads these are three excellent calibers. I know that the Marshall and Sanow studies are mentioned and with the most effective loads for each three calibers in real life shooting the most effective loads for the three are all over 90% and only vary a few percent points between them topping out at 96 or 97 percent.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    17636 times
    As the owner of all 3 calibers, I would not be afraid to use any of them in a defensive situation. Like some of the others have said it is just a matter of personal preference. I carry my M&P 40c for everyday business (I know "Tupperware" or "Plastic Fantastic" gun) but I like it and it fits well as a CC gun. I do carry my 686 6" when I am in the woods, gives me a little more range. Now for my 645, well that is just a Fun Gun to shoot! I reload for all of them so running 100's of rounds through them an a regular basis is not a $$$ Issue. (Use Factory Ammo for Carry Though)
    Just to add a little more to this topic here is another link I found.

Suggested Calibers & Loads

The three calibers are, In my mind Very Equal!
    popscleveland likes this.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988 now Endowment, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    393 times
    The first good shot usually wins! What you need to carry is the firearm that you can shoot accurately under stress. For me, automatics are much quicker for acquiring a target. I prefer a .45 ACP.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4813 times
    I have limited experience with the 45ACP-230FMJ that I’ve applied for effect. In my very limited experience it was not a one round show stopper thus at the end of the day I had required a rifle. On the other hand if had been cool, calm and collected maintaining the front sight but then I didn’t.

The 40-S&W is not on my things to do list.

As for the 357-Magnum I’ve gone away from that round as it was beating to death my M19 & M66 revolvers and I never took a liking to the L frame.

For the woods, back roads, and city streets in this part of the world a Glock G17/G19 or S&W MP9.

Member #
    Liked
    14741 times
    Long ago, I made the choice of .38Spl +P for carry, in town, and I break out the .357 158 gr. ammo for the woods and fields. There might be better guns and loads than .38/.357, but I have never been in danger, and had the opportunity to test it. Guess it all boils down to........ what you are comfortable with. I've got a small collection of a few .22's and .38's/.357 that have filled my needs, for quite a few years.....but it sure is fun to consider the alternatives. Bob
    Charlie686 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3067 times
    You hear a lot of conversation about proper bullet expansion, and questions about various calibers being 'enough'.
    Here's the way I see it:
    The .45's NEVER get any smaller !
    Don
    S&WCA
    NRA Life Member
    OGCA
    RCA

CCA
    WACA

Member #
    Liked
    28986 times
    Well, I’m no expert in much of anything that is proper to mention, especially ballistic performance, I know that some bullets come out harder and faster than others in larger fashion as well. I have all calibers discussed and carry by what makes the most sense to me at the time. If I know the Huns are approaching with time to prepare, I’ll likely not depend on my pocket/side carry Model 37, but will pull out a larger caliber weapon that has more ammo capacity. I have two guns hidden by my front door; a S&W Model 64 and a CZ semi-auto in .40 S&W. These two appliances have no other job than to give me a quick “pick-me-up” if something out front of the house goes south. The revolver is for something more investigative, but if I believe all hell is breaking loose, I’m going with more firepower with the CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by DHENRY View Post
    You hear a lot of conversation about proper bullet expansion, and questions about various calibers being 'enough'.
    Here's the way I see it:
    The .45's NEVER get any smaller !
    Don

To Don’s point, when my son entered the Phoenix Police Academy, they were issued Glocks in 40 S&W, but they had the option of a 45 caliber if they owned one, the son did, a Glock 21. He told me when he hit the range for the first time and the range instructor inspected weapons, he announced; “Well at least there is someone here with a REAL gun!”….I always got a kick out of that!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41664 times
    My husband thinks the same as you, Don!

His favorite is the .45, but after getting the M&P .40 he carries and shoots that one more now.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    I've got all three of those cartridges and a few more besides. Multiple manufacturers in each caliber to boot.
    It's just plain hard for me to beat a 357 Magnum with hard cast 180 gr ftlat nose lead bullet loaded to 1100 fps. It's accurate and will sure drop the steel ram at 200 yds when I hit it.
    If I need more ammo capacity, the 40 S&W in a Sig 229 works really well for me.
    I hardly ever carry a 45 ACP anymore.
    Nor a 45 LC.
    That doesn't mean I don't enjoy shooting them all though.

Member #
    Liked
    24816 times
    Bob, the 357 is the gal you brought to the dance, so to speak, and I think you have a good dance partner. The only penetration tests I have done comparing 45 ACP and 357 were against kevlar police vests. The 45 hardball went through 3 layers of kevlar and almost went through the 4th. The 357 158 grain JHP went through 8 layers. I think the 357 is a good choice as an all around caliber that allows you to shoot 38 target wadcutters to 180 grain full magnum loads. - Hank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links