Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jonesy814
  • 1 Post By mrerick

Thread: Question from a newbie on cleaning a 9mm Shield

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Question from a newbie on cleaning a 9mm Shield

If I have a new or fully cleaned 9mm Shield, after how many rounds must I strip an lubricate it. I am a newbie and have no clue.
    For example, if I go to the range and fire 100 rounds, would I need a complete cleaning and lube? Should I just clean the bore after a session like that or do nothing? Any advice welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    27994 times
    I am a firm believer in tearing down and cleaning my guns after each range session. For my range guns it may be a while before I take that gun out again and I dont want to forget its dirty. The reasoning for my carry guns always being clean is that my life may depend on the reliable operation of the firearm and I dont want anything that I can help to interfere with that reliability. hat being said there have been a few occasins when I took 3 or 4 guns out and maybe only shot one of them 30 or 40 rounds. If I know I will be shooting within a week I will plan on taking the gun that wasnt shot much and shoot it enough to make it worth cleaning. If you have shot 100 rounds and dont get around to cleaning it, the gun wont be harmed and should perform just fine for 100's of more rounds but if its used for your protection why risk a malfunction? At the very least I would run a patch or 2 down the barrel and wipe down the feed ramp area through the ejection port after each use.
    Welcome to the forum and you've got a great gun in the Shield. Mine is close to 4 years old now and has been 100% reliable. I just had it out on Sunday for run and with 147gr ammunition it puts the holes right where I point it.
    Diabloman likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22354 times
    Welcome to the forum. I have had my Shield 9mm for 10 months now and have put 442 rounds down range. I have four 8 round mags and one 7 round mag and shoot them all at each session now. I break down my Shield after every session of 39 rounds and clean it. I keep a spread sheet on all my guns and monitor that sheet to insure my guns get fired at least yearly.

One piece of advice; get a mag loader.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks to both responders.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24443 times
    It's possible to clean a gun too much, especially if you're in there scrubbing the bore... Bores can be damaged and prematurely worn by too much aggressive cleaning.

I wipe a gun down and run a Hoppes boresnake down the tube every range session.

Ever few hundred rounds, I field strip it and give it a good rod, brush and patch cleaning and lubrication.

Obviously, if something causes dirt out of the ordinary, it gets cleaned.

Also, should you ever use corrosive (old surplus) ammo, it requires immediate cleaning with ammonia water followed by normal cleaning chemicals.
    RobzShield likes this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    6889 times
    I clean my guns after every range session, but I do not break them down each time. Just don't find the need. Probably no harm in a field strip regularly, assuming you are careful. but some precision pieces might be an exception. Can't be too careful with a carry piece ou. As stated, watch the mags too.

Member #
    Liked
    27994 times
    If the gun was not cleaned when you first got it I would tear it down and do so before firing. If you already shot it then do it now. They come pretty well oiled up from the factory usually, and all the oil they use will collect dirt and grime.

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    A good tutorial would be to watch the Youtube video "Gun Cleaning 101" by "fmgpubs" (American Handgunner Magazine?).
    As he mentions, it need not take more than 5 min per weapon and doesn't need to be done as in depth as some think.

Links