M&P .40 mag

Thread: M&P .40 mag

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

M&P .40 mag

Hi everyone, i have a question about keeping the mag on my M&P .40 loaded all the time? I have a .38 special under the bed right now and my concern is i will be taking a new job that involves night work. And even though my fiancé can group nicely in a controlled indoor range im not sure what would happen at 2am in the pitch black if an intruder broke into our home. So having the m&p loaded under the bed with 16 intruder stoppers loaded would make me feel better in case she misses A LOT. But in all seriousness i was told leaving the mag loaded all the time will hurt the spring and whenever you go to shoot the spring fails and doesnt push up the next round so u have no bang?
    Last edited by SuperDutyScaler; 02-15-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20384 times
    Welcome to the forum. Must have hit send early. I have an M&P shield and the mags are always loaded except when right after firing at the range.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry my dog jumped up onto the bed and into my face and i dropped my phone

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
    Sorry my dog jumped up onto the bed and into my face and i dropped my phone
    Ha. No problem. I've had my Shield (9mm) for five months now and the magazines have been fully loaded since day one. After five months I still need the mag loader to fully load the 8 round mags. Just last week I was able to completely load the seven round magazines by hand for the first time. The springs are not giving up easy. I'm sure someone on this forum knows the "expiration" date on springs but I would hazard a guess you have many years of "good springs in the magazine" ahead of you.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    40556 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass! I wouldn't sweat it for a long time. Unless you want to save the SD ammo, shoot up the mag at the range every so often to make sure it still feeds properly. If it still bothers you, buy another mag and rotate them every few weeks.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19757 times
    The spring in there is doing it's job.

Spring set is a myth...

Some have made YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnnJ2NJlrJs

There is a pretty good discussion here: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=46377

and here: The Myth of Magazine Spring Set - AR15.COM

and here: Spring Fatigue: Should I Store Magazines Fully Loaded? | PreppingToSurvive.com

Mags loaded indefinitely = no spring wear. Mags constantly loaded/unloaded = spring wear.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Links