Shield reassembly
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times

Shield reassembly

I was cleaning my Shield today and had some trouble with the reassembly. The barrel and spring were inserted correctly, then I put the slide back on, but it would not lock back. I was holding the grip in one hand and pushing the slide back with the other, but it just wouldn't seem to go back all the way. I finally pushed the front end of the slide against a counter top edge and got it to go back all the way and lock on place. Then, I flipped the disassembly lever back up. Anyone else have trouble putting their gun back together? Not sure what I could've been doing wrong.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2978 times
    I have not had any problems putting it back together.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    14650 times
    I am not familiar with S&W auto' procedure, since I like Ruger's. Sometimes you have to have a mag (empty) in the gun, for the slide to lock back. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I didn't have a problem the first time I cleaned the gun, but it was a real bear this time. I could not get the slide lock to engage, even with an empty magazine. What I eventually did was insert the empty mag (so I wouldn't have to manually press up on the slide lock) then I used counter top to push the slide back and it finally locked.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2978 times
    If you put an empty mag in you are resetting the sear deactivation lever. I wouldn't suggest that. Are you making sure everything is lined up towards the back of the frame towards the grip?

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If you put an empty mag in you are resetting the sear deactivation lever. I wouldn't suggest that. Are you making sure everything is lined up towards the back of the frame towards the grip?
    Yep, it seemed lined up. It also seemed like I pulled the slide back as far as it would go, but I guess it was getting hung up on something. I tried it again today and it went back together fine, but there was still a little difficulty getting the slide all the way back and locked. I noticed that the recoil spring actually looks warped/deformed a bit and it bulges out ever so slightly. Not sure if that would cause this or not.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Yep. Mine is very stiff. The slide lock just will NOT engage with the takedown lever unlocked. Mag insertion has been my solution as well. It has loosened over time.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zotzer View Post
    Yep. Mine is very stiff. The slide lock just will NOT engage with the takedown lever unlocked. Mag insertion has been my solution as well. It has loosened over time.
    I took it apart again the other day and managed to lock the slide back manually. It was still difficult, but a little better. Guess I just need to shoot it more to loosen it up.

Also, I noticed that my sights appear to be off. I was consistently grouping to the left. I know it's the gun, because a minute later I switched to my revolver and was blasting out the bullseye. I guess my front sight needs tweaked.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2978 times
    Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. Mine gave me not one problem from out of the box. My sights are dead on.

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Yeah, I guess it's nothing major. I've never had a gun yet that didn't shoot straight out of the box, so it's a little disappointing. It's probably just a matter of a few taps on the front sight, right?

At first, I thought maybe it was just me and I needed to get used to the gun, but it definitely seems to group to the left. I was shooting at about 7 yards, and I can normally nail pretty tight groups with my other guns at those distances.

Links