Can you dry-fire too many times with the M&P 9C?
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Can you dry-fire too many times with the M&P 9C?

Will dry-firing damage/hurt my new M&P 9C? I hear this gun can handle it without any problems, is that true?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: Can you dry-fire too many times with the M&P 9C?

I dry fire mine all I want. It should not make any more difference to the striker than actual firing. Dry fire is essential to learning to shoot well. If it breaks the pin or harms the spring it's a cheap repair.

Nice old double shotguns muzzle loaders & some rimfires you don't want to dry fire. New auto pistols let it rip.

Boats

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

You should check over on the blue forum, and I think there is an M&P forum too....not sure.

Having participated in an agency T&E of the M&P, I'm not a fan. That said, there was a rash of broken firing pins about 18 months ago. I don't like M&P's so I did not pay much attention to what versions were fracturing their firing pins.

I'd look it up though before I'd pony up all the money they want for one of those. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.
    S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, everything you need in a revolver, and nothing you don't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Have 5 or 6 thousand rounds through a 5 inch M&P less through the compact. Spent last season running them in IDPA. My first plastic striker action pistols. Not without there problems but all in all they work pretty good for what they are inexpensive disposable guns. I think I have all the kinks worked out. Most were the extractor too tight not releasing the fired case. Some fails to fire due to a light striker fall. I believe now changing out the recoil spring for a ligher one to suit my match loads had a negative effect on the striker spring. That makes no difference to 1911's but recoil and striker springs seem to be linked with striker action pistols.

Never heard about pins breaking but it would not suprise me. I carry spare pins springs & parts for several of my competiton guns. Have a complete striker assembly in my bag for the M&P. The egronomics on M&P's are good and I shoot scores a bit better than with my 1911's much better than my old High Power. While I don't want to screw up a match with problems am not putting anything else at risk like if the gun was intended for Self Defense.

All guns fail sometimes if used enough. Glocks at our club matches even fail too. Glocks are sort of like Volkswagens were years ago. Rep was so good no one would say there's broke. The dealers still had service departments.

About the only real plastic pistol choice for SSP competiton is Glock or M&P. I suspect it's a toss up which is best.

Boats

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

I'm not a Glock fan either....well, I'm not a tupperware fan at all one could say.

I was issued a full size HK USP 40 some years back. That was a very accurate, reliable pistol, with a less than perfect trigger.

I did handle a plastic pistol that intrigued me at the gunshow Saturday. A Springfield XDm. I did not care for the regular XD, but this pistol felt great and pointed very naturally....dare I say as naturally as my beloved model 19 If they make that in a commander size 45.......

Regards 18DAI.
    S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, everything you need in a revolver, and nothing you don't.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

WhatI like and keep for self defense are all S&W K's, Victory in the Shop. M 67 in the Kitchen. M 10-2 inch in the sock drawer. On my belt, M-19-2 1/2 inch. Every one paired up with a flashlight and HKS speedloader. Sometimes a 36 when I don't want to tote the 19. 19 is as near perfect as anybody ever made.

Those Autos will all let you down sometime.

Boats

Member #
    Liked
    14018 times

I like the way that THAT man thinks!!!! I have the exact same revolvers in my "collection", except a M-66-1 in place of the M-19. Only thing is......in Mass. it's illegal to have a loaded gun in the house. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Revolvers are like Fire Extinguishers never know when you are going to need one but don't want to tote it around all day. That's a strange law, can the state government regulate what you have in your private home ?

Boats

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have a new M&P 40C. I dry fire it every time I empty the gun and chamber. Shouldn't this be done all the time especially when cleaning?

BTW, I really like this gun it shots where you point and have had no problems with ~200 rounds through it.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

I think you will like the M&P C . Bought one soon as they came out, wanted to try a modern design and don't think much of Glocks. Ran it for 6 months or so then decied to switch my IDPA shooting over to the 9L when it came out. Keep the C as a back up gun, in case the 9L goes down in a match, and for IDPA Back Up Gun matches. I see more and more of them in matches. Carolina Cup without an actual count there seemed to be as many M&P's as Glocks shooting Stock Service Pistol.

Real impressed with the design it's clearly an update on the Sigma which was a try to duplicate the Glock. Egronomics are as good as you will find. Like anything new they have had a few problems, nothing major and S&W turned mine with extractor problems around in less than a week at no cost.

I still don't know exactly how switching out the Recoil spring for one with less power effects the striker spring but it does and gives less than reliable ignition. I down load 9mm's to the mimimum power factor for match shooting . Went back to the factory spring boosting my loads a bit and works fine now. Can't blame that on S&W. Glock gets around this by not recominding handloads. One reason they are reliable , the guy behind the grip can't screw up the ammo.

Boats

Links