Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nmshieldshooter
  • 1 Post By Waidmann

Thread: Question on M&P 40 cal shooting low

Member #
    Liked
    66 times

Question on M&P 40 cal shooting low

I took my 40 out for the first time last night. Functionally, it was flawless, no FTF's or FTE's and it ate the ammo like candy. I was shooting Federal 180 gr. FN and Winchester 180 gr. FN. I also had worked up some Hornady 180 gr. XTP's going from a lighter load to a heavier load, to see which I liked best for self defense. In all cases, no matter what ammo I was firing, my shots were all low. And I don't mean a little low - I'm saying, aiming at the bullseye, the rounds were hitting at the bottom of the circle at 8 yards. To compensate, I had to raise the barrel above the circle to get them closer to the bullseye. And, when my buddy shot it, before I could even ask him how it did for him, he said it was shooting way low for him.

I was just curious if anybody here had seen this before. I'm even wondering if the sights that are on the gun are too tall and may need to be replaced. Any input is appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    7402 times
    I would call smith and see what they say as it is having issues with 2 shooters
    TheTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10518 times
    My M&P's (three calibers) seem to shoot okay at 25 yds. center hold. A 6 o'clock hold at 7 yds. produces that same result. I want to get a bit more bench time before I consider shaving the front sights. The ex-LE guns are hitting the market for prices I had to try them. I like the ergonomics and they all run well. I do appreciate your comment (feel your pain).
    TheTexan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26568 times
    How was it sighted? Does it have it's original factory sights? Was it setup for six o'clock hold or center hold?

What sight picture are you using? For example, if it's setup for center hold and you use six o'clock hold, it will shoot low.

Does it have an adjustable or fixed sight?

If adjustable, you move the rear sight in the direction you want the hits to move, in this case UP.

If not adjustable, you replace the front sight with a shorter one, or the rear sight with a taller one.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waidmann View Post
    My M&P's (three calibers) seem to shoot okay at 25 yds. center hold. A 6 o'clock hold at 7 yds. produces that same result. I want to get a bit more bench time before I consider shaving the front sights. The ex-LE guns are hitting the market for prices I had to try them. I like the ergonomics and they all run well. I do appreciate your comment (feel your pain).
    This is, from what I can tell, an LEO trade-in. It looked brand spankin' new, but was a used gun, probably carried a lot in a Kydex holster (no holster wear) and shot very little. I got it for $325, so I know what you mean by the price being so good you had to try it. I'm not going to get frustrated with this gun, not even close, it's a sweet shooter and I just want to rectify any issue there might be so that me and the girl get along better.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    How was it sighted? Does it have it's original factory sights? Was it setup for six o'clock hold or center hold?

What sight picture are you using? For example, if it's setup for center hold and you use six o'clock hold, it will shoot low.

Does it have an adjustable or fixed sight?

If adjustable, you move the rear sight in the direction you want the hits to move, in this case UP.

If not adjustable, you replace the front sight with a shorter one, or the rear sight with a taller one.
    It has fixed sights, and from what I can tell, they are the factory sights. They're too plain to be something that somebody decided to put on them aftermarket.

I've considered a shorter front sight, in fact that might fix the problem right there, even without messing with the rear sights.

Member #
    Liked
    3649 times
    I have read several post about M&P's shooting low , my M&P 9 and 5906 shoot low . Lines at the range is 3, 5 and 7 yards is far as I go and aim a little high

Member #
    Liked
    2024 times
    Before i started swapping parts i would try two things.... One .. bench it and two have someone else shoot it.

Then I would probably look real close at the sights and see if they have been modified. I know that glock and others offer different height sights so just because they look plain jane doesn't mean someone didnt "sight" it for them using factory gear.

How many inches were you off at 8 yds?

Member #
    Liked
    12417 times
    Bench it first shoot it . 10 yards , print target and measure how far off " Low" ise several different loads some will shot lower thatn others.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Links