M&P slide interchangeability
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question M&P slide interchangeability

I own an M&P 45 and wonder if I can replace the slide and magazine with a 9mm version and it would work reliably and safely? It would be cool to have a multi-caliber pistol but I imagine there's likely some subtle differences that preclude this. Or are there?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26417 times
    I don't have a .45 M&P pistol to verify this with, but I suspect that the frame and frame magazine well has different dimensions as compared to the 9mm. The .45 is probably wider.

Many pistols can be converted between .40S&W and 9mm with a barrel swap, recoil spring change and magazine change, but again - I don't know if this can be done with S&W pistols.

I certainly might be wrong on this, and if so someone will be by shortly with the details.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A first generation M&P 40 can be converted to .357 Sig with a conversion barrel. You can use the .40 magazines as well for .357 Sig. I have one and it has been trouble free.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10491 times
    .357 SIG and .40 S&W are essentially the same case body and the magazines are dual marked. I also own an M&P .45 and I'll tell you at a glance, no. The .45 is larger than the .40, at a glance. Similar to Glock the M&P 9 might share a common frame with the .357/.40.

Links