Did Anyone Get In On The New S&W 5946's Cabela's Was Selling Last Year ??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Did Anyone Get In On The New S&W 5946's Cabela's Was Selling Last Year ??

Member #
    Liked
    75 times

Did Anyone Get In On The New S&W 5946's Cabela's Was Selling Last Year ??

A year or 2 ago, (I can't believe it's been that long), Cabela's was selling brand new DAO Smith & Wesson Model 5946's new in the box. They came with newer, (2016), Trijicon Novak style night sights, and 3, 15 round Stainless Steel magazines. I picked up 2 of them. As I understood it, there was an entire production run of these guns that had been warehoused by S&W as replacement guns for all of their police contracts.

Then, as time passed, the guns were no longer needed as many departments went to cheaper Polymer pistols. (Glock, M&P's, and the like). So Cabela's purchased the entire run of these guns directly from S&W, for sales exclusively in their stores. I'm not sure, but I believe the 5946 went out of production around 1999, or thereabouts. Anyway, the only problem with these guns is the long heavy, "police trigger" pull they have. But they are beautiful, all Stainless Steel weapons with zero Aluminum or plastic..... Except for the grips of course.

One of mine is marked, "Springfield, Mass" on the slide. The other is marked, "Houlton Maine". I wish they were DA / SA without the bobbed hammer. But you can't have everything when buying brand new, old guns. I lucked out after I got them and purchased 10 extra Smith & Wesson 15 round Stainless magazines from Midway USA on sale. I think I paid $17.99 each for them. These are both guns along with the old Cabela's link. (It's still active, but shows, "Sold Out").

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...ls/2407616.uts

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That's pretty darn cool
    Never heard of a 5946 until today....

Member #
    Liked
    3636 times
    Couple years ago Cabelas here had a couple priced around $700 no PD markings , young man working the counter didn't know anything about them . Good and hefty pistols very comfortable to shoot can go through few boxes of ammo easy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20251 times
    Though I live 2 miles from the biggest Cabelas store, I won't set foot in it. I had a Cabelas Black Visa at one time too. I'm totally done with them since Dick Cabela sold out to Bass Pro and Foremost Bank sold out to Capital One.

In general, Cabelas is over priced,and the 'sales associates' are dumber that a box of rocks. Used to be that parking lot was always full. No more. I go by it quite a bit and the lot is usually mostly empty now. Word is out on them, at least around here it is.

Problem is, you can only slice the 'outdoor stuff' pie into so many slices and the slices (profit) gets thinner and thinner plus, internet sales have really hurt places like Cabelas.

Didn't know they had them but then I don't go there so I wouldn't know anyway.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    ..... In general, Cabelas is over priced,and the 'sales associates' are dumber that a box of rocks.......
    I agree to a point. But I don't go to ANY gun store to listen to salesmen. I know exactly what I want before I set foot in the place. All I want from the sales staff is to ring me out, and get me on my way as quickly as possible. Cabela's actually does this more expeditiously than most, because of their computerized 4473 form setup. They also have a separate staff to process their firearms sales, once you say, "I'll take it".

As far as price, again you have to know what you are buying, along with when and how to shop there. They have good sales on guns from time to time. And they also allow you use their, "$50.00 Off Coupon", toward any gun purchase..... Including guns on sale. My wife purchased a brand new Beretta Model 92 for just $499.00. The gun was on sale for $549.00, plus she had the $50.00 Off Coupon.

If you just walk into the place to buy a gun, and rely on the sales staff to obtain information, you're going to get hosed regardless of where you shop. Guys who are extremely knowledgeable about firearms, aren't going to work behind the counter of a big box store for $12.00 an hour.... Or a mom and pop gun shop for the same or even less. Anymore than Jiffy Lube is going to pay mechanics wages to a kid to change your oil.

And as far as who owns Cabela's, or who they sold what bank to, again I could care less. I don't use credit cards to buy firearms. And I don't care what bank people go through when they do. I'm there to get the gun I want at the best possible price. If Cabela's has it, I'll go there. If they don't, I won't. It's as simple as that. Everything else is just a bunch of Saturday afternoon barstool B.S. Nothing more.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Here is another area where Cabela's excels over mom and pop operations that sell guns. This directly relates to both of my S&W 5946 purchases. When I purchased them I paid full price of $699.99 each. (You must understand these guns were out of production for several years before I purchased them. And Cabela's was the one and only place you could still buy them new in the box). So while the price could be considered a bit steep, if you wanted one it was the only game in town, so to speak.

I bought one for me, and one for my wife. The very next day I checked their website, and low and behold they had them on sale for just $550.00 each! My wife suggested I go there with both sales receipts, along with the computer printouts of both prices, to see if there was anything they could possibly do. (Both sales receipts were dated the day before, and even included the time of purchase).

I didn't expect to get any type of refund, and was willing to chalk it up to bad timing. But Cabela's keeps track of everything you buy there. (It's why they always ask for your phone number when they ring you out). We're good customers, and spend quite a bit in the joint, so I thought it might be worth it to try. I went to the customer service desk, and explained the situation to the girl who waited on me. She took all of the paperwork I brought, and we went to see the manager.

The manager was very apologetic, and offered me a $300.00 gift card to make up the difference! ($150.00 per gun based on what I overpaid compared to the sale price). I really didn't expect that. But he told me that because I purchased 2, less than 24 hours earlier at full price, he had no problem making an exception. And that gift card was used shortly thereafter on another gun purchase. (A Springfield M1-A SOCOM).

They didn't have to do that. Nor did I expect them to. And they certainly did not have to refund the entire difference in the form of a gift card. So I have zero complaints on their customer service, that's for sure. I highly doubt most any other gun shop would have done that.
    Abby'sDad likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    The Smith & Wesson auto's can get pretty confusing with all of the different model numbers, calibers, single and double stack, etc. This chart really helps when you're trying to sort everything out.

Abby'sDad likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I like the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens. You have a neat variation. What's is the double action trigger like? It should be a little lighter than a standard dbl/snl action IIRC.
    Regards, Bert W.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullAero View Post
    I like the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens. You have a neat variation. What's is the double action trigger like? It should be a little lighter than a standard dbl/snl action IIRC.
    It's a bit heavy, and takes some getting used to. The DAO guns were primarily police weapons. And as such they had a pretty hefty trigger pull. It's a very smooth pull, with a predictable let off, but it does take some getting used to. These are the only 2 DAO semi auto's I own, and they're different, I'll say that. Not objectionable. But like I say, they definitely take some practice to get used to, if you've never fired them.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Try the Wolff gunsprings reduced power hammer spring pak. Or maybe it just needs the factory standard 20lb spring. I did this to my 3953 and it made it more comfortable to shoot.
    www.gunsprings.com

5900 Series
    Hammer Spring Pak
    Reduced Power (Stock No. 26581)
    This pak contains 1 each of 16, 17 and 18 pound reduced power hammer springs described above for Group A model pistols, allowing adjustment of the firearm to individual requirements.
    TN622 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links