Most accurate bullet weight for M&P 2.0 9mm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Most accurate bullet weight for M&P 2.0 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Most accurate bullet weight for M&P 2.0 9mm

Asking for advice for what bullet weight and manufacture seem to shoot the most accurate groups from an M&P 2.0. I recently purchased a full size 9mm with a 5" barrel in the earth color. This is not for self defense ammo but rather FMJ for shooting at the range and plinking.... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated ....
    Digger likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4989 times
    Try all and go with what shoots best in your gun.
    cjt50 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7350 times
    Federal or Winchester 115gr for plinking will be fine.Usually any brass or aluminum will work. I try to stay away form steel by any manufacturer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13911 times
    I have found that 124s - overall - do the best in all of my 9mms from a wide variety of makers. Since I just ordered 1000 rounds of Speer Gold Dots for half price, they should go well with the Speer 124 FMJ Lawman I use for practice.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was kind of thinking along the same lines with the 124 grain, I have a 1000+ rounds of 115 grain ammo and am getting ready to get another 1000 with the Free Shipping that is currently being sold on line. I was kind of considering the Aguila, Geco, CCI Brass or the less expensive Aluminum cased, The M&P 2.0 has a 1 in 10" twist and I would think it would stabilize the 124 grain best... My Sig P239 loves the 115 grain ammo I have in stock anyway... Any first hand experience with the Geco or Aguila Brands of ammo?...

Member #
    Liked
    2945 times
    I read somewhere a while back that the 9mm was originally designed for the 124 gr. That said, I enjoy shooting the 115 a wee bit better. I like CCI brass from my local LGS to support them but TargetSportsUSA is good for online.
    Boriqua likes this.
    As a USAF Officer, I took an oath to defend this country against all enemies, domestic and foreign. It was not an oath to follow the president or any political leader. It was an oath to obey and defend the United States Constitution. Whether or not I still wear the uniform, That oath never ends.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm assuming it would be the same for the 9mm Compact 4" version?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26375 times
    A 4 inch barrel develops less muzzle velocity than a 5 inch barrel does. That changes the ballistics of the round as it flies.

The longer barrel also impacts your sight picture, and it's stability in hand.

The different muzzle velocities, impact of barrel length on bullet weight and shape, powder burn rate and other details all combine in a complex way.

Sometimes experiment is the best way to determine this kind of thing. Note that reloading manuals often publish the most accurate load for a given bullet, but it's generally shot from a five inch instrumented test barrel.

Will it matter in a practical sense? Consider the typical self defense distance. If you're a bullseye shooter, it's another thing completely.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    A 4 inch barrel develops less muzzle velocity than a 5 inch barrel does. That changes the ballistics of the round as it flies.

The longer barrel also impacts your sight picture, and it's stability in hand.

The different muzzle velocities, impact of barrel length on bullet weight and shape, powder burn rate and other details all combine in a complex way.

Sometimes experiment is the best way to determine this kind of thing. Note that reloading manuals often publish the most accurate load for a given bullet, but it's generally shot from a five inch instrumented test barrel.

Will it matter in a practical sense? Consider the typical self defense distance. If you're a bullseye shooter, it's another thing completely.
    I might try the Speer Lawman 115 gr along with the 115 Speer Gold Dot's and go from there, appreciate the info!

Member #
    Liked
    13911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgarza View Post
    I'm assuming it would be the same for the 9mm Compact 4" version?
    Almost all of my 9s are 4" or less
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links