In case you haven't seen enough 3rd-Gens...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: In case you haven't seen enough 3rd-Gens...

Member #
    Liked
    110 times

In case you haven't seen enough 3rd-Gens...

Here's another one. I'd been looking for a 4.25" .45 for possible carry and to size match with the 4006 and 5906. Came across a battle worn ex-Police 4566TSW that has a bit of holster wear but internally is in great shape. Grips are a bit nicked up but I have new straight grips on order. Next job is to get it cleaned up and out to the range. Totally hooked on these 3rd Gens!

Name:  4566tsw-2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  2.27 MB

Name:  4566tsw-1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  2.09 MB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26274 times
    I have had mine for about 10 years. You'll like this one alot.

If you have a plastic recoil spring guide, it may cycle roughly. If so, replace it with one of the metal ones and it will resolve the problem.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Marc

Name:  4566LeftSideNoSer.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  32.5 KB
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Have Trijicon re-lamp the night sights for $57.
    mike0010 and CrankyYankee like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    I hit the indoor range this morning and fed it a box of Sellier & Bellot 230gr FMJ and a couple mags of HST 230gr +P. No hiccups at all, as expected.

I'm a mediocre shot at best, and usually with a new pistol I need a couple of magazines at 8 yards just to dial myself into the gun. My groups were tighter at 15 yards than at 8, and my first DA shot at 25 yards was on the 10 dot! I'm very impressed how accurate this thing is.

I have to say, this is the softest, smoothest shooting .45ACP I've shot yet. I am absolutely in love with this thing! What a shame these 3rd Gens were killed off. With minor tweaks and priced right I think a "4th Gen" could have been very competitive with today's all-metal Sigs and Berettas.
    Curt360, rock185 and Boriqua like this.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    I have had mine for about 10 years. You'll like this one alot.

If you have a plastic recoil spring guide, it may cycle roughly. If so, replace it with one of the metal ones and it will resolve the problem.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Marc

Name:  4566LeftSideNoSer.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  32.5 KB
    Steel guide rod. It could have been replaced, but based on wear it looks original.

You're 100% correct, I DO like this one a lot. Probably my favorite one of the bunch.
    Curt360, Boriqua and charles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    94401 times
    Congrats on obtaining that fine .45! Looks to be in great condition. Was considering one of those before I got my XD MOD2 and would still get one if the price was right. Glad it functioned well for you at the range. Thanks for the pics and the range report.
    CrankyYankee and Boriqua like this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbethel View Post
    Have Trijicon re-lamp the night sights for $57.
    Hi jsbethel,
    How do you do this - getting Trijicon to re-lamp the night sights? I have one of these too and it would be great to be able to see the sights at night!!!
    Thanks for the post!!!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26274 times
    Because of the action feel on my 4566TSW, I believe that there was extra action work producing one of the better large semi-auto pistol triggers I have.

The combination of mass, balance and the tuned action makes these a real winner.

I don't know how many agencies had this pistol, but mine came from a county agency that replaced them with polymer framed pistols about ten years ago.
    Boriqua and CrankyYankee like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mike0010 View Post
    How do you get Trijicon to re-lamp the night sights?
    Get RMA number from Trijicon and send the slide - I use a small flat rate USPS box for tracking. They will assess, call you for payment and return the slide through UPS for $57.

https://www.trijicon.com/support/returns-repairs
    Last edited by jsbethel; 02-01-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyYankee View Post
    Here's another one. I'd been looking for a 4.25" .45 for possible carry and to size match with the 4006 and 5906. Came across a battle worn ex-Police 4566TSW that has a bit of holster wear but internally is in great shape. Grips are a bit nicked up but I have new straight grips on order. Next job is to get it cleaned up and out to the range. Totally hooked on these 3rd Gens!

Name:  4566tsw-2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  2.27 MB

Name:  4566tsw-1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  2.09 MB
    Glad you like it. But back in the early 90's I had to carry a 5906 as a duty weapon. Worst POS I ever had couldn't get through a 50 round qualification course without several malfunctions. We switched to the SIG P-220 and it was flawless! I retired 12 years later still carrying that same P220.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, US Army Vet., Retired LEO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links