Smith And Wesson Forums banner

M&P .22 became very unreliable: clean, new ammo, No mods etc. Suddenly disappointing.

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Laufer 
#1 · (Edited)
M&P .22 became very unreliable: clean, new ammo, No mods etc. Suddenly disappointing.

Greetings, a first post. Probation period has officially begun.
Having been a very freq. member of THR, TFL, SKSboards, AKfiles (-yes-:eek:) for years and recently SigTalk, Walther Forums plus CZ 'Original', it's nice to be on your website. Am recently retired.

Bought this standard M&P .22 about a year ago, new retail, and except for 'blue box' Federal, it....was... very reliable, approx. 98-100% , depending whether: CCI Minimags, Federal Automatch, even Rem. Golden Bullet. Until now, about 3,000 rds. total used.
Fairly suddenly, and even After a good internal cleaning, No ammo is reliable when pulling the trigger, average maybe two issues per full, 12-round mag. >>Feeding, extraction and ejection are usually fine (98%)<<

Minimags sometimes go 'click' on the first chambered round (or after a few), whereas other brands might shoot a few rds. then go 'click', with the fresh cartridge in the chamber. These cartridges usually work the second time.
Zero mag issues, No mods (as stated before) or alterations. The only dry-firing is when loading an empty mag, or after cleaning. In other words, I try to avoid it.

So happy that my other German guns (9mm), Czech 9mm, Czech 7.62x39, and rifles have had zero issues (but then...they aren't .22LR). Was anything Not clear in the basic description of the pervasive issues?
Any suggestions, critiques or questions are always welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome mate, I'm sure someone will be along shortly, to offer advice. Me I would call the mother ship for a return label for repair...

thewelshm

#3 ·
First off, welcome to the forum!

Have you taken the firing group completely apart and fully cleaned and oiled the parts? That is my first guess. It sounds as if the firing pin is not going fully into the bolt group and is hitting the primers short. This would cause light strikes, and misfires.

That's my first guess. Hopefully somebody else here may have a solution form personal experience, or by having others explain their problems and solutions.

Reactions: jeepnut and 1av8r
#8 ·
Thanks for the hospitable welcomes and advice. The gun is about 1 & 1/2 years old.
Now and then it doesn't lock open on the last round.

The only handgun frame I've fully disassembled is the Sig P6-due to the one truly superb video done up close in a bright light etc. The slide's double roll pin was far too tight to move at all.
Will look for a good YouTube on the M&P's slide disassembly.

#9 ·
The slide is fully disassembled.

The rear stop for the extractor's spring is open, with a very low detent/block.
But a 3-part video for the assembly of the Compact version (mine is standard), "M&P Compact .22 Disassembly'Reassembly." Part One, by "Doin it With Frisky" at 3:33 has a tubular-shaped insert for the extractor spring.

1) Does the Standard M&P .22 normally have the extractor spring so exposed? With mine, it will be extremely difficult to hold the partly-compressed spring in place (tries to bend out of this open channel) while putting the block back into the slide.

2) 2 tiny coils came off the firing pin spring. With the firing pin channel now finally clean (was very dirty), while using the slightly Shorter firing pin spring...this could allow much more reliable ignition?

#10 ·
They are 2 completely different guns. The older M&P22s were made by Walther. Didn't like mine and it went away

#11 · (Edited)
jonesy814:
Mine is probably 1& 1/2 year old, and very reliable until about three months ago (*with the named ammo brands). The date code might indicate a 2018.
I finally found a video with the same open, exposed 'channel' for the extractor spring.

But would the firing pin spring work well with the two Very tiny coils missing?

Also--keeping the extractor components in place while squeezing the block into the slide wont work; maybe sewing thread can first be wrapped, then removed when block is in place....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.