Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jonesy814

Thread: Shield Slide Lock?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Shield Slide Lock?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

I read the relevant threads that I could find. Eventually, I determined that some others have had issues with the slide lock, but the advanced solution was to ignore it. While ignoring it can be the main solution, there are times when I don't want to action the slide to empty. I would not want to do that at a range booth, then have to assemble the ejected cartridges. Additionally, I would not do that in a match. Thus, I have a problem with the slide release. It may be me; that prompts my post.

The slide lock appears to move at a slant. Is this your experience? Using advise from another source, I push up on the slide lock, before moving the slide. This often seems to be effective, but (maybe 1/2 the time) it takes several attempts to get the slide locked. It feels, to me, that bulging out the piece just a little more would solve the problem.

So, I would be grateful if you could let me know if anyone has found the "secret" to smoothly engaging the slide stop consistently. Alternatively, has anyone found an aftermarket slide stop that sticks out just a little more?

Thanks, again, for your attention and help.

Member #
    Liked
    28550 times
    I have had a Shield for 7 years and probably run near 5,000 rounds through it and I dont recall ever having a problem with operating the slide lock. At first the gun was so tight it wasnt easy to get the slide back far enough for the lock to engage, but that was a stiff recoil spring issue
    1970MP and The Happy Kaboomer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    I have had a Shield for 7 years and probably run near 5,000 rounds through it and I dont recall ever having a problem with operating the slide lock. At first the gun was so tight it wasnt easy to get the slide back far enough for the lock to engage, but that was a stiff recoil spring issue
    Thanks for your input. I'm really happy that it works perfectly for you! Since I posted, I searched a little more. Sure enough, as you mentioned, lubing the RSA was suggested. I forgot to say, I have fired about 1k rounds through the Shield (not my primary weapon.) It has just been thoroughly cleaned and lubed. The spring felt fine, and I'm familiar with the problem that some faced when not "seating" the rsa correctly (which I am confident that I do.) Funny thing about my research; most complaints were about using the slide lock as a release. I have no problem using it as a release, and the slide locks back faithfully, on an empty mag.

I haven't found an aftermarket product, so my research continues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    stick an empty mag in it and work the slide.

Links