• 1 Post By SidecarFlip
  • 3 Post By bigpoppop51
  • 1 Post By bigpoppop51

Thread: S&W Model 41 (muzzle break)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

S&W Model 41 (muzzle break)

I have from my father a S&W model 41. In trying to find out why it was shooting 5” low or more I stripped it totally down to find that the muzzle break was all corroded an damaged. I am now looking for a muzzle break. The manufacture date is 1957. I have been on the phone all day with no luck. So if anyone out there has one or know someone who has one I would appreciate the help.

S&W suggested a new barrel as they do not make them anymore and haven’t none in stock. New barrel is out of the question as far as I am concerned.

Member #
    Liked
    18628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppop51 View Post
    I have from my father a S&W model 41. In trying to find out why it was shooting 5” low or more I stripped it totally down to find that the muzzle break was all corroded an damaged. I am now looking for a muzzle break. The manufacture date is 1957. I have been on the phone all day with no luck. So if anyone out there has one or know someone who has one I would appreciate the help.

S&W suggested a new barrel as they do not make them anymore and haven’t none in stock. New barrel is out of the question as far as I am concerned.
    Why not?
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    18628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppop51 View Post

Why not?

I find it foolish on your part as to discharging it in the first place without a careful inspection and cleaning but you must like to live on the edge....

Kind of put the cart before the horse in my view.
    TennSharpshooter likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24429 times
    I bought a seven inch Model 41 from a friend, but preferred the balance of the 5 inch version so replaced the barrel and sold the longer one to a friend.

The change went well, and I have an accurate pistol. As I recall, I was able to get a Smith and Wesson replacement for about $200.

You may find a used parts seller or a gun parts dealer that has accumulated parts. Someone like Jack First might be able to help.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Why not?

I find it foolish on your part as to discharging it in the first place without a careful inspection and cleaning but you must like to live on the edge....

Kind of put the cart before the horse in my view.
    Well to answer your first question...it was left to me by my father and is very special to me. I have more than enough handguns so until I can find the part it will remain in the safe. It is not a pistol I bought. If I had bought it and couldn’t find a replacement part then another barrel would do just fine.

As for your comment about my being foolish I think you are being a little rude. I have been shooting and cleaning every handgun, rifle and shotgun since I was 15. I am 68 now. I have shot and cleaned this handgun since I received it. I do admit that I was unaware about taking the muzzle break off as cleaning the barrel cleans the muzzle break. Being unaware does not make me foolish. Upon further inspection with a magnifying glass it appears to be a buildup of lead, copper and etc. I will soak it and remove the buildup until it is all gone. I did find a replacement part, but at this time it may not be needed.

I have been shooting all my life and still manage to learn something about guns in general every day. When a person asks for help rather a new shooter or an experienced shooter comments like yours are uncalled for. If you can’t offer help you really should keep your rude comments to yourself. I do hope that if you are ever in need of help that you get exactly that “help”. I wish you a good day sir.
    jmcisc, Injunbro and ShooterGranny like this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    I bought a seven inch Model 41 from a friend, but preferred the balance of the 5 inch version so replaced the barrel and sold the longer one to a friend.

The change went well, and I have an accurate pistol. As I recall, I was able to get a Smith and Wesson replacement for about $200.

You may find a used parts seller or a gun parts dealer that has accumulated parts. Someone like Jack First might be able to help.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/
    Thank you for your help and advice. I did find a replacement muzzle break, but after further inspection it looks to be a buildup of lead and copper. I will soak it and clean it till it is clean. Every person I called today even though they couldn’t help me gave me a few more names and numbers. I talked to at least 15 different people until someone finally had the part. Gun people in general will most of the time take that extra step. Just like you did sir. Thank you.

Len
    Member #
    Liked
    1730 times
    Shoot it without the muzzle brake attached they also made a false muzzle. Both items come up from time to time on eBay. Also do a web search on how to clean a badly fouled brake, when you say corroded I assume its fouled? . Years ago I cleaned one up don't remember what I used to loosen up the lead.

A new barrel is always a solution, but I like my guns period correct, you may find a barrel from the same time period.

There are also after market barrels Clark etc with built in rails for optics.
    Len

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Shoot it without the muzzle brake attached they also made a false muzzle. Both items come up from time to time on eBay. Also do a web search on how to clean a badly fouled brake, when you say corroded I assume its fouled? . Years ago I cleaned one up don't remember what I used to loosen up the lead.

A new barrel is always a solution, but I like my guns period correct, you may find a barrel from the same time period.
    Thank you for the information. I have had it soaking for two days. I have cleared all three ports and have been working on on the inside. I too like it period correct. My dad left me the 41 as well as a model 27. 357 magnum with 6 1/2” barrel. It had a scope on it when it came to me. My niece said there was no sight blade and sight to be found. It took me almost a year to find the correct sight and sight blade. I did look them both up last night and the manufacture date on both is 1957. I did find a replacement brake yesterday, not sure if I will need it. Part was $170. I have lived on the East coast since I got out of the service and dad was in New Mexico where I grew up when he died. Which is why I didn’t have time to look for gun parts. I flew out and was back day after the funeral. Again, thanks for the help and info.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post

Well, after some soaking, cleaning and repeating the brake is clean and good as new. I am hoping for some warmer weather to go out and take it for a spin. I am going to try and post a picture. Name:  7DDB63DB-0379-4B33-B6C5-C3D1B1C5C181.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  2.22 MB
    Injunbro likes this.

Links