Semi-Auto Rimfire Target Guns, what do you like??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Semi-Auto Rimfire Target Guns, what do you like??

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

So…I was thinking about .22LR Semi-Auto Rimfire target gun. I would like at least a 6”. I’m a Smith & Wesson Fanboy so I thought I would try a Victory. But I'd like to have a longer barrel without having to buy one aftermarket. I thought they would have a longer version out by know, but it hasn’t happened. They also seem to be having a lot of feeding problems posted on the forums. So, I started looking at others.

Obviously I’d like to have a Model 41. Who wouldn’t? But I just can’t justify a grand for a rimfire range toy. Same with the Beretta 87 Target; too close to a grand. The models I was comparing are the Smith & Wesson SW22 VICTORY Model: 10201, Browning Buck Mark Contour Model: 051508490, Ruger MARK IV COMPETITION Model: 40112.

However, I’ve run across some S&W models I didn’t know about. The 422, 622, and 2206. I even saw one guy that said the 2206 was as good as the Model 41, and he had both.
    I see some of these guns in very nice condition actually selling on GB in the $300-$400 range.

So what are your opinions on these?

Please discuss. And lets please keep this to semi-auto target rimfires; not rimfire copies of our Tupperware carry guns; that is a different application. Also, I have a 617; so I don’t need a Rimfire revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    4437 times
    Second gun I ever purchased, a Marlin 60 rifle. My only semi auto pistol is a S&W Victory 22LR. I also have Heritage Rough Rider 22 short, long, long rifle and with change in cylinder 22 mag.
    Or I would if they and my .38 specials and the shotgun I just got hadn't all been lost in a tragic boating accident tomorrow.
    Curt360 likes this.
    "I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
    -- George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    3343 times
    I have two S&W M41 and two Ruger Mk II pistols. On any given day with the same brand ammo the group size isn't worth arguing about.

Ruger #1 Rule for Ruger assembly to replace link / pin combo: Pull trigger while holding pistol muzzle down @ 90°, verify that hammer has fallen (forward) towards muzzle, install pin. Position hammer strut in "link pocket", snap into correct position.

With very little practice, this assembly step takes about 15 seconds. If the hammer is not forward in the 'FIRED' position, assembly will not happen.

With all this said, for the money a used Mk II target pistol is the best buy for accuracy versus cost. I have two M41 pistols because I was in the right place at the right time three times: 2 pistols at 65% normal price and 5 new mags for $15.95 each about 4 years ago. The Rugers were reasonably priced, excellent shape, and I had the money.

I am the world's victim for "The Price Is Right" on firearms. If I perceive the price is below normal, the money comes out. I go from "No wants" to "I got to buy it" in micro-seconds.
    jeepnut and Cliff like this.
    NRA Life Member, Air Force 1970 - 74, S&WCA # 2533 Inactive, S&WHF #366
    2019 New Years Resolution: No more gun purchases

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2953 times

I have a Victory and it’s a tack driver! I also have a 422 and its a tack driver. I have a NEOS 7.5 in barrel. I made some fiber optic sights for it and it’s a fun and accurate gun to shoot!
    Curt360 and jeepnut like this.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    4043 times
    I have no experience with the S&W Victory. It is probably a great gun. I have lots of experience with the Ruger MK II and others. Here is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Curt360, WendyZXZ, jeepnut and 4 others like this.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
    Or I would if they and my .38 specials and the shotgun I just got hadn't all been lost in a tragic boating accident tomorrow.
    Those boats are real dangerous. I’ve heard several folks here in Kansas who lost everything to a boating accident next week!
    Back on topic, I bought a Mark IV target 6 months ago and haven’t looked back. But the model 41 is interesting.
    sparkyv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6859 times
    I have a Ruger competition model like tennsharpshooter posted and a Ruger 22/45 heavy barrel. Both are very accurate and function perfectly. I also have an older 41 that is superb, but very pricy now. Recently, I picked a S&W 22A1 and it pushes the other 3 accuracy wise. feels good in the hand, but I wish it had the wood grip panels. Easy to mount an optic on as well.Name:  S&W 21A1, Ruger 22-45 -002.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  431.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    60769 times
    I have a 2206 and a Ruger Mark IV Hunter. I prefer the 2206 as the bolt is little below mid receiver and shell ejected lower part of receiver. To me seems the recovery for next shot is extremely easy. My Grandson loves the Mark IV and is deadly on the steel competitions. I have had a 22A and the Browning Challenger but sold them and went more to revolvers. Still have the 2206 and Mark IV.
    Name:  IMG_3803.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  477.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3457.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  659.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3460.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  604.1 KB
    Leo918, series guy, Cliff and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    57802 times
    I have a Ruger Targets in MKII & MKIV, both are excellent guns.
    Leo918, jeepnut, Waidmann and 1 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    10337 times
    I have Ruger MKIs, MKIIs, and a MKIV. They all shoot very well BUT none of them compare to my Model 41. If you buy a MKIV and change out all the parts to get a decent trigger and some nicer grips you are getting close to Model 41 money. I'm not selling any of my Ruger but I shoot the Model 41 about 10 times for every Ruger outing, maybe more. There's no substitute for me.
    Leo918, jeepnut and Curt360 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links