9mm slide hard to operate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 9mm slide hard to operate

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

9mm slide hard to operate

My new M&P Shield 9mm Compact pistol slide is very difficult to operate. I've cleaned and oiled it with no change. My hands are fairly strong and I just barely get it done. My wife can't operate it at all. Is this a normally difficult to operate gun? Any ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Normal...ever shield i had felt like they put elevator springs in it...even mags...now the regular compact is fine...shoot it break it in...45 shield to me is hardest

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3194 times
    Yes they are stiff just shoot it and push back overhand slide while pushing forward on grip.
    mrerick likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5018 times
    As the gun gets smaller and the barrel gets shorter the return spring gets stiffer. This is because the spring has to dissipate the same amount of energy but in a shorter distance. With use the spring may be a little lighter but not by much. It shouldn’t because if it does it will not be dissipating the rounds recoil energy and could damage the gun. Just part of owning a small semi-auto pistol.
    Jace and Boriqua like this.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
    As the gun gets smaller and the barrel gets shorter the return spring gets stiffer. This is because the spring has to dissipate the same amount of energy but in a shorter distance. With use the spring may be a little lighter but not by much. It shouldn’t because if it does it will not be dissipating the rounds recoil energy and could damage the gun. Just part of owning a small semi-auto pistol.
    That is not true for all small pistols. My SIG P238's are super easy to rack. On the other hand, I had a Bersa BP380cc which was quite a bit larger than the SIG's I own now and it was much harder to rack the slide.

Member #
    Liked
    5018 times
    When considering guns of equal caliber it is pretty much true. The original poster was asking about 9mm specifically. The Sig 238 is a .380 cal not a 9mm. The .380 cal is a much smaller and weaker cartridge than a 9mm. That is why it can have a weaker return spring than 9mm pistols. That is why many people go to .380 cal pistols. It’s no magic just physics.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23942 times
    The alternate slide racking technique that JB59 suggests above should do the trick for you.

Most people use a weaker set of muscles in their arms to pull back the slide over the frame. This works with pistols that don't have much resistance to overcome, but is not the way to approach slide racking.

The better way is to use the stronger muscle groups to push the frame under the slide while you hold the slide stationary. It takes a bit of time to do this consistently and properly, so training and correct practice are your friends.

Decent article: https://www.ammoland.com/2016/04/how...-pistol-slide/

Most semi-auto firearms must cycle using one technique or another to delay unlocking the breech when they get to 9mm Luger and larger / more powerful ammunition. It is possible to make guns that will efficiently operate with unlocked breeches .380ACP (9mm short/kurz/corto) and smaller.

Only a small number of pistols try and operate 9mm Luger from unlocked breeches (HiPoint) and they generally turn to massive slide weight.

The Shield in 9mm uses a very stiff two stage compound recoil spring and a breech locked by the engagement of the chamber end of the barrel and the slide ejection port. It's designed to take some delay before that lock can be overcome by the slide moving back against the stiffest portion of motion in the recoil spring.

Famous designers like Mauser obsessed for years over unlocked breech designs for 9mm Luger pistols, and they generally failed in the market place because of unreliability. The shield is, in my experience, a reliable firearm.
    Last edited by mrerick; 10-02-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
    When considering guns of equal caliber it is pretty much true. The original poster was asking about 9mm specifically. The Sig 238 is a .380 cal not a 9mm. The .380 cal is a much smaller and weaker cartridge than a 9mm. That is why it can have a weaker return spring than 9mm pistols. That is why many people go to .380 cal pistols. It’s no magic just physics.
    And THAT is exactly why I compared my 238's to the Bersa .380 which was the same caliber and a larger gun, but much harder to rack! I did not compare it to other caliber guns.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26724 times
    Here's what I did with my .40. It gives one better purchase on the slide. I can operate mine easily now.

https://www.amazon.com/TacRack-SHIEL...ustomerReviews
    Last edited by 19and41; 10-02-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
    -Upton Sinclair
    Please do not open and post the links on my threads.
    19and41

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    I had this problem with an XD Mod 2, 9mm. My wife couldn't rack it at all and even I had to put a lot of effort into it. I was told to just shoot it and it would loosen up. I did and it didn't and it got to the point that it just wasn't enjoyable to shoot because of how hard the racking was, so I traded it away. Because of the XD experience, I've now learned to judge the rack before I buy a pistol and compare it to my Beretta 92FS. If it's harder to rack than it, I know I probably won't enjoy shooting it, no matter how well everything else is. As it was pointed out earlier in the thread, it won't get much easier than it is out of the box. This is one reason my wife and I like shooting our S&W .380 EZ, because it is so easy to rack and it is fun to shoot.

Mike
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links