9mm slide hard to operate
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 9mm slide hard to operate

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. Elevator springs is a good description of my slide.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I've been to the linked site and am trying out the new technique. It is definitely easier. Thanks again for taking the time.
    Jack43

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39508 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Wow. I really, REALLY wish I would have joined this forum before getting my new Shield 2.0 9mm - which I picked up Tuesday. I may end up getting a revolver for the Mrs, as she will never be able to rack this thing. I thought I had nerve damage or something. Good info here, though. So I'll dust off the weights, get some spring grips and tennis balls to squeeze. I turn 69 next month, so I may end up trading over to another pistol that is a little easier to work.

Member #
    Liked
    11827 times
    Very still. people in my CCW class have a very hard time with them. !
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    My wife had some trouble with a couple of semi autos. While she is still not a natural she is much better after I showed her hand over top and most importantly .. push on the grip frame and push back on the slide. Hand over top is great but add pushing on the grip as you push back on the slide makes it a even easier. Try using both hands in opposite directions and you should be good to go.
    Arb911KS likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks. Actually, I've just been downstairs practicing. Even when I get the slide locked open, the slide release button takes some effort. The little rascal does not want to move much, and I have to do the overhand to take some pressure off the slide, then it'll close up. That said, this is a brand new pistol, and I have yet to properly clean and lube it per the instructions. This is the first weapon that I've owned since leaving the Army in 1976.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    There are certainly a ton of ways to do things but I almost never use the slide lock to release the slide and teach new shooters to sling shot.

In reality you dont need to lock the slide open manually either.

Try this
    Load your mag. Snap caps if you are just practicing...

With the slide still closed insert the mag with a bit of force so it locks in place. Now while holding the grip high with your right put your left over the top with your thumb facing in toward you. Grip the area of the rear serrations. Now push foward with your right and push the slide back with your left. Now you are using the larger muscles in both arms instead of depending solely on hand strength.

Keep doing it until the slide locks open on the empty mag. Drop the mag and insert another with a snap cap or 2 and once again push forward on the grip and back on the slide and forget the slide lock.

Its not the right way or wrong way just another way.

I like using gross motor since an emergency may limit fine motor and rhe slide lock on my semi autos are tiny flush things

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Again, great suggestions. I’ll pick up some snap-caps and give it a go... or two...or two dozen 😏

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23937 times
    These small 9mm pistols use compound recoil springs which are designed to intentionally resist unlocking in order to slightly delay the slide enough for the pressure to fully drop in the chamber, then they provide slightly less resistance so that the case can be jerked from the chamber in extraction and ejection.

The technique for racking these slides that I mentioned in my earlier response works because it relies on stronger muscle groups to open the chamber. it can sometimes help to verify that you have an empty magazine, then insert it into the gun prior to racking open the slide. This should automatically engage the slide lock so you don't have to try and operate the slide lock control with your thumb. Then release the magazine and drop it from the gun.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links