SW 59 failure to extract
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: SW 59 failure to extract

Member #
    Liked
    56978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    Depending on the country it came from, it's possible that the cylinder was recut for 9x23mm ammunition (instead of the normal 9x21 9mm Luger Parabellum cartridge).

Marc, read post #5, autoloaders don't have cylinders. Try the word chamber.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    38735 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    KZero, Thedoc and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Everything that happens is either endurable or not. If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If it’s unendurable . . . then stop complaining. Your destruction will mean its end as well.

Member #
    Liked
    11624 times
    Do you know anybody who has an Untra Sonic tank cleaner system ?? i suggest using one if you can find one. Otherwise give the extractor a good blowing out with Gun Scrubber. Blow dry and re-lube. That might help also

But i did look at the picture very closely witha loop and it looks like the extractor need to be replaced.
    Last edited by Layne12gun; 09-16-2019 at 09:07 PM.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne12gun View Post
    Do you know anybody who has an Untra Sonic tank cleaner system ?? i suggest using one if you can find one. Otherwise give the extractor a good blowing out with Gun Scrubber. Blow dry and re-lube. That might help also

But i did look at the picture very closely witha loop and it looks like the extractor need to be replaced.
    Really? What am I looking for that appears worn out? It looked ok to me but If im missing something id like to know.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26265 times
    This is one of those things you are going to have to go at one step at a time. I would get a punch set and take the extractor pin out and inspect the extractor's cavity. I would at least order a new extractor spring from Gun Parts Corp. if not a extractor. It didn't look bad to me, but a picture may not show wear. With what you are describing, the extractor and spring is the place to start. According to the schematic the pin drives out from the slide's interior.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
    -Upton Sinclair
    Please do not open and post the links on my threads.
    19and41

Member #
    Liked
    5722 times
    The first thing I do with a used semi auto, after a complete cleaning is REPLACE the recoil and Mag(s) springs.

You can spray the snot out of the extractor and internals with GunScrubber or Brake Cleaner. Then blow it out with a can of air Don't keep putting oil on it. Use some solvent if you don't want to remove the extractor.

I will bet it is the recoil/mag springs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH%20&...1/mID58/dID261
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Just out of curiousity how would the magazine spring effect extraction? It has a mecgar 15rd magazine, not original.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedoc View Post
    Just out of curiousity how would the magazine spring effect extraction? It has a mecgar 15rd magazine, not original.
    From your original post:

Towards the end of my session it managed two magazines with no malfunctions and on the 3rd made it to the last round before failing to extract and jamming the last round between the breech face and the fired case.

A failure of the last round is often a weak magazine spring. The mag spring and the recoil sprin work together. Often a weak mag spring causes stove pipes and failure to feed which will in turn screw everything else up.

It's an old gun, chances are all the springs are worn. Consider it cheap insurance tuneup. One less thing to worry about. For $7-* dollars it is worth nowing it is new,
    MecGar mags are the OEM for many gun makes including SW
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Cool, just placed an order for a service pack, only 15 bucks. By the way, thanks every one for being so helpful. Its very cool and refreshing to see a forum for anything that is actually active with the existence of Facebook these days.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Hey guys, I just wanted to provide some closure to this thread for any one who might ever have this problem and needs some advice. Thanks again for all the help, every one was very helpful here. I got my spring kit from gunsprings.com and it made a huge difference. I took it back out too the range afterwards and ran over 100 rounds through it with out a single malfunction, it kept pace with my 2017 Sig p250 for reliability. I also ordered for it just to finish things out two new mecgar smith and wesson 5906 17rd mags and a pair of Hogue wood grips. The mags fed flawlessly, and I love the new grips over the old nylons. So in conclusion. Defintily consider a spring kit if you are experiencing any lack luster performance out of your original SW 59. It also gave me an opportunity to really take the gun down to the bare components and really clean it out and man was it filthy in ways you would never be able to see. Name:  smith1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  78.7 KBName:  smith2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  76.2 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links