• 2 Post By Layne12gun
  • 2 Post By HectorFuego
  • 3 Post By HectorFuego

Thread: I have a question

Member #
    Liked
    753 times

I have a question

I have a first generation M&P 45, full size with 4.5" barrel. Great pistol. Super reliable. However, it's a former LEO gun and the issue is this, apparently the officer in charge of this particular pistol was not big on firearm hygiene. (I didn't think I'd ever get a clean patch to come out of it.) Consequently, there appears to be some pitting in the barrel. Still shoots pretty good, but the presence of it bugs me. BTW, it's pretty much a paper punching gun at this time ... too big for comfortable IWB carry ... so target shooting is my main concern.

My question is this. I'm thinking of replacing the barrel with a 5.18" AAC threaded barrel. Not interested in putting a can on it, but the barrels are relatively inexpensive and the extra length might(?) improve stability. Have any of you had experience with this type of replacement, and if so what's your experience been?

Hector
    If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
    The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
    "It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'."
    Every keystroke is an opportunity for an error.

Member #
    Liked
    224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorFuego View Post
    I have a first generation M&P 45, full size with 4.5" barrel. Great pistol. Super reliable. However, it's a former LEO gun and the issue is this, apparently the officer in charge of this particular pistol was not big on firearm hygiene. (I didn't think I'd ever get a clean patch to come out of it.) Consequently, there appears to be some pitting in the barrel. Still shoots pretty good, but the presence of it bugs me. BTW, it's pretty much a paper punching gun at this time ... too big for comfortable IWB carry ... so target shooting is my main concern.

My question is this. I'm thinking of replacing the barrel with a 5.18" AAC threaded barrel. Not interested in putting a can on it, but the barrels are relatively inexpensive and the extra length might(?) improve stability. Have any of you had experience with this type of replacement, and if so what's your experience been?

Hector
    No experience, but sounds cool. Longer barrel and could add a brake. Would love to see it afterwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    11420 times
    Pitting in the Barrel ?? Smith Wesson MP .45 are very hard barrels to pit. It could be you have lead build up or copper fouling . i would suggest soaking the barrel in a good bore cleaner for several days and a re- cleaning. then try some Hoppee's Bench Rest Copper Solvent #9. use a Stainless Steel brush .

generally I dont suggest any one replace a barrel UNLESS accuracy has broken down. such as rounds key-holing or inability to shoot a group .
    dennis40xnc and needsmostuff like this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    753 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne12gun View Post
    Pitting in the Barrel ?? Smith Wesson MP .45 are very hard barrels to pit. It could be you have lead build up or copper fouling . i would suggest soaking the barrel in a good bore cleaner for several days and a re- cleaning. then try some Hoppee's Bench Rest Copper Solvent #9. use a Stainless Steel brush .

generally I dont suggest any one replace a barrel UNLESS accuracy has broken down. such as rounds key-holing or inability to shoot a group .
    Yeah. I think you may be right. Took it out yesterday and it shot as good as I can hold ... probably much better actually. I'm just surprised that fouling would make the bore look as rough as it does, but I also had trouble wrapping my head around pitting in a modern stainless steel barrel.

Gonna wait on a new barrel for now. Maybe diligent cleaning after each range trip with clear out the fouling.

Thanks for the reply.

Hector
    Layne12gun and gearchecker like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    25793 times
    A few FMJ rounds could help swab it out as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
    -Upton Sinclair

Member #
    Liked
    753 times
    More shooting and more cleaning and it's looking pretty good. Improved my grip technique and I'm shooting it much better.

Man, is there any ammo this thing won't shoot. Probably put close to 1,000 rounds through it since January and haven't had a single hiccup or failure of any kind. I have been trying different ammo to see what it shoots the best and found IT SHOOTS THEM ALL BEST. Steel case Tula, aluminum case Federal, brass case Federal, Federal HST's, brass case Geco, and a bunch of my handloads. It just eats them up and spits them out.

If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind, so I'm not making any changes to it.

Hector
    19and41, Philo and KZero like this.

Links