SW40VE GUIDE ROD QUESTION
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SW40VE GUIDE ROD QUESTION

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

SW40VE GUIDE ROD QUESTION

Greetings! Has anybody had any problems after upgrading this firearm to a Steel or Stainless Steel guide rod? I had read somewhere online that people were having problems with the SD Sigma variants breaking frames and wanted to know if it was true, and if this problem could affect the earlier SW40VE? I'm looking at a Wolff steel replacement for the plastic OEM piece. I did a few searches here and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    10550 times
    I have no first hand experience with it, but understand swapping out the plastic is common. I've not heard of a problem with them. Check back later. Someone here will have a definitive answer for you.

Welcome to the forum.
    ~Jerry | https://www.buckeyefirearms.org | http://orpa.net
    Life Member https://www.dav.org/ | NRA Distinguished

Member #
    Liked
    5287 times
    Why to you want to change it?

Many guns have polymer guide rods.
    NRA Certified RSO

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2901 times
    There have been some were the heavier steel guide rod beat up the frame ,others have had no problem . The plastic RSA is fine and you can get an extra one for $12

Member #
    Liked
    55689 times
    Why fix what ain't broke? Especially w/ an "upgrade" they isn't necessarily better?
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37546 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Everything that happens is either endurable or not. If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If it’s unendurable . . . then stop complaining. Your destruction will mean its end as well.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I understand the questions. The other two semi-autos I have, have steel guide rods. I like the stability and longevity/dependability of them. Sure I can get a plastic replacement for $12, but IMO the plastic units in the SW40VE (and other autos with such types) are nothing but a cost-cutting measure to keep down the cost to mfg, and the retail price down. I had read somewhere online, that here at the S&W forum, there were problems with the SD variants with a particular aftermarket replacement part, and I wanted to see if it was true, and more importantly, applicable to the SW40VE. I can't see how the upgrade to a steel unit would be a problem as the Guide rod is anchored in the slide end, and has its footing on the barrel lug.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; 07-22-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyZXZ View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    1407 times
    I have had a Wolff steel guide rod and spring installed in my modified SW9GVE for several years and many thousands of rounds with no issues what so ever. I do replace the recoil spring as needed.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old doc View Post
    I have had a Wolff steel guide rod and spring installed in my modified SW9GVE for several years and many thousands of rounds with no issues what so ever. I do replace the recoil spring as needed.
    Excellent! Thank you for bringing your personal SW/VE class experience here. Really appreciated!
    Thewelshm likes this.
    For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
    - Romans 4:3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links