380EZ Update
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 380EZ Update

Member #
    Liked
    9930 times

380EZ Update

When I bought my 380EZ last Spring , I did so with an eye towards it being a carry piece should the arthritis in my hands make it necessary . I shot up all the 380 ammo I had on hand plus another 300 or so I picked up along the way and I have to say that the little gun is just a shooting machine . Five or six different brands of fmj , mixed brass range reloads , several brands of hollow point , and 100 rounds of ARX Inceptor without the slightest problem .
    The only issue I had with using the pistol for EDC was the magazine release button protruding enough to cause surprise magazine drops when holstered. I detailed that problem in a post soon after I bought the pistol . Reversing the mag release and cutting a relief in the holster cured that issue .
    With warm weather and lighter clothing coming up , I like the pistol and have confidence enough in its function to use it for Summer carry . The 380EZ and the ARX ammo are a perfect match . Recoil is not much more than a . 22 Mag and using my less than scientific test of shooting through a piece of half inch plywood into a plastic gallon jug of water , the zippy little bullet works well .
    All in all , I couldn't be more pleased with the pistol .
    One note to anyone else considering the 380EZ for EDC . If the holster you choose is a snug fit for the pistol , it's a good idea to start the pistol into the holster normally and when it starts to get snug , use the palm of your hand on the rear of the slide to push it home . The slide works so easily that a normal holstering move can allow the slide to move back out of battery . This can happen with other autos too but is pronounced with the EZ .
    BTW , I've tried the ARX ammo in . 38 Special and it does very well with the only negative being the lack of a roll crimp making reloading using a speedloader rather difficult . The ammo uses a taper crimp and the case mouths hang up on the charge holes . Just something to keep in mind .
    1av8r, Bob K, jeepnut and 7 others like this.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    11128 times
    Thank you, Thud. I was looking at one last weekend, but didn't pull the trigger. I have the same arthritis concern.
    Curt360 and Oldgungeezer like this.
    ~Jerry | https://www.buckeyefirearms.org | http://orpa.net
    Life Member https://www.dav.org/ | NRA Distinguished

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22101 times
    Thanks for the input. I'm still on the fence.
    Oldgungeezer and Curt360 like this.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    My wife and I were out shooting our .380EZ yesterday evening. It seems to get easier every time we do.

We did have a problem with it though. My wife is usually a much better shot with it than I am, but neither one of us could hit the targets near the bullseye worth beans this time. I switched over to my Beretta 92FS and didn't have a problem. A couple of guys with us shot their 9mm's and didn't have problems either. I looked the gun over and the sights didn't look like they had moved. I hadn't cleaned it the last time I shot it but it didn't look that dirty but thought it might just need a good cleaning. It wasn't until later that I thought about the wind we had been shooting into and had kept knocking our targets down as being the cause. We were getting fairly good gusts at time that we were shooting directly into and between the targets moving a little and the light weight of the 97 grain bullet vs the heavier 9mm bullet, it could have played with where the bullet was hitting. We were shooting at about 20 yards.

The gun still is a dream to shoot though and it always goes with us when we go out to the public land shooting range we go to. I'll clean it up real good and if the weather is as nice as it was yesterday (minus the wind), we'll go back up next week and try it again.

Mike

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22422 times
    As an alternative, there are techniques that can make a full size M&P 9mm much easier to rack when you're dealing with arthritis. I have helped many of my students with this technique.

You hold the receiver steady, and push the frame under the slide, instead of pulling the slide over the frame. When it's pushed as far as it will go, you let go of the slide.

This uses stronger muscle groups than the way most people rack a slide.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    To the OP: Absolutely the only problem I've had with my Shield EZ is the fact that I cannot load a magazine while there is a round in the chamber - even if I download the magazine, but that defeats the whole issue of maximum ammo in minimum time.

I have to shoot the gun to slide lock to insert a new magazine. That doesn't take long, but could be a problem in a big emergency situation. So far it is not a carry gun for me, though, because I'm using my SIG P238's with 7 round magazines for that purpose and I can insert a new full magazine with one in the chamber with those guns.

The Shield is just enough larger that is is not easily "hideable" on my body but I sure do love the fact that the grip is larger than the SIG's and fits my hands so perfectly. I just WISH I could load a magazine with one in the chamber!

I looked forever on line to see if there was anything that said you could solve that problem (of not being able to insert a magazine with a round in the chamber) IF you remove the magazine disconnect safety, but alas, not one word about that possibility.

I dislike those magazine disconnect safeties. I REALLY dislike them. It makes for a serious problem if you are shooting a competition and have to show empty, then slide forward and pull the trigger at the end of your turn. You have to load an empty magazine to do that and that is not good in that particular situation.

Back to fun: Both my Shield EZ and my M&P .22 compact are about the most fun to shoot of all of the guns I own at this time.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; 05-24-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Curt360 and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9930 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    To the OP: Absolutely the only problem I've had with my Shield EZ is the fact that I cannot load a magazine while there is a round in the chamber - even if I download the magazine, but that defeats the whole issue of maximum ammo in minimum time.

I have to shoot the gun to slide lock to insert a new magazine. That doesn't take long, but could be a problem in a big emergency situation. So far it is not a carry gun for me, though, because I'm using my SIG P238's with 7 round magazines for that purpose and I can insert a new full magazine with one in the chamber with those guns.

The Shield is just enough larger that is is not easily "hideable" on my body but I sure do love the fact that the grip is larger than the SIG's and fits my hands so perfectly. I just WISH I could load a magazine with one in the chamber!

I looked forever on line to see if there was anything that said you could solve that problem (of not being able to insert a magazine with a round in the chamber) IF you remove the magazine disconnect safety, but alas, not one word about that possibility.

I dislike those magazine disconnect safeties. I REALLY dislike them. It makes for a serious problem if you are shooting a competition and have to show empty, then slide forward and pull the trigger at the end of your turn. You have to load an empty magazine to do that and that is not good in that particular situation.

Back to fun: Both my Shield EZ and my M&P .22 compact are about the most fun to shoot of all of the guns I own at this time.
    The only thing I can figure is your magazine problem is either with your specific pistol or the magazine . I can chamber a round , top off the mag and reinsert it with no trouble . I have several extra mags for my pistol and all work fine .
    Bob K, Oldgungeezer and 1av8r like this.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcope822 View Post
    The only thing I can figure is your magazine problem is either with your specific pistol or the magazine . I can chamber a round , top off the mag and reinsert it with no trouble . I have several extra mags for my pistol and all work fine .
    WOW - I'm impressed, really! I put a thread on this (or another forum, not sure) about the problem and almost everyone who posted agreed that unless you can really SLAM the magazines in super hard, or download them by one or two, they simply will not go.

For a gun that is supposed to be EZ in every way, this to me is a serious problem.

ETA: I have six factory magazines for my EZ. Not one of them will go in if here is a round in the chamber. Hubby was able to SLAM one in with force, but he said it was so difficult it even hurt his hand and he's pretty tough.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; 05-26-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: add information

Member #
    Liked
    72680 times
    Thanks for the range report on the .380EZ, Had though about replacing the Taurus .380 I currently have but it's nothing urgent. Good to get this info on various firearms and it's why I like range reports.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    13151 times
    I am currently interested in a pocket pistol, and find this conversation very interesting. (Though,I stubbornly stick with my M-36.) I do carry a .38 Spl. (M-10 2" & M-36 2"), I am considering putting my M-66 2 1/2" .357 Mag. into my carry options. What am I saving it for?????? Not going to sell it......while I've still got a heartbeat!!! Just an 'old school fool', I guess! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links