Shield field strip/reassembly question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shield field strip/reassembly question

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Shield field strip/reassembly question

I just got a new Shield 9mm and love it. When I was in the store I field stripped it using the trigger pull method, and put it back together, no problem. I went right to the range, shot it and brought it home. After I cleaned it I had a terrible time getting the slide to lock back before rotating the take-down lever back parallel with the slide. What I was first trying to do was to slide the slide all the way back on the rails, lock it back and then rotate the take down lever, but I couldn't get the slide to lock back.

The manual says: "Move the slide rearward until it engages the rear frame rails. Push the slide stop up to engage the slide stop notch. Let the slide move forward as the slide stop is held up to allow the slide stop to engage the notch and hold the slide open. Rotate the take down lever 90 degrees counter-clockwise so it is parallel with the frame before allowing the slide to move forward to the closed position." So is that first sentence telling you to just let the slide engage with the rails, or to forcefully push it all the way to the rear? The slide stop doesn't want to go up, even with the slide all the way back, but after many, many, MANY tries I finally got it to catch. I just field stripped it again using the sear deactivation method, and had the same problem getting the slide stop to engage.

It definitely seems different than my XD9SC. Can someone help? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2586 times
    Name:  001 (640x480).jpg
Views: 4958
Size:  51.1 KB

i have never seen a shield but i am assumimg its like the compact. if you notice in the pic there is a notch on the front of the slide that has to be over the take down lever. what i usually do is hold the grip in one hand put the slide on with the other hand and when the notch lines up use my thumb form the hand holding the grip and it should just snap back into place real easy

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for helping! So is this any different from when you normally lock the slide open? I see where the notch is (over the take down lever in your photo), but in order to get it back far enough to engage the slide stop, I have to push the slide back as far as it will go with my left hand and then, like you say, use my right thumb to slide the slide stop up. I never have any problem locking the slide back when the pistol is fully assembled, but it's almost like it doesn't want to go back far enough to engage the slide stop when the take down lever isn't engaged. Is there anything that could be preventing it from going all the way back? Thanks!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2586 times
    maybe check to make sure the recoil sping is seated properly, or maybe its not on the rails right. when a put it back together i skip the part about locking it back and just line up the front notch with the take down lever and hit it with my thumb. sometimes the take down lever will just snap up on its own.

Member #
    Liked
    17636 times
    Maybe this will help:

Bender and Bob K like this.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988 now Endowment, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jimmy View Post
    maybe check to make sure the recoil sping is seated properly, or maybe its not on the rails right. when a put it back together i skip the part about locking it back and just line up the front notch with the take down lever and hit it with my thumb. sometimes the take down lever will just snap up on its own.
    Thanks--I didn't realize you don't have to lock the slide back.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the link to the video. That's exactly what I'm doing, but most of the time with it disassembled I'm not able to engage the slide stop. I have no problem when the take down lever is engaged. Thinking it was a strength issue I had my husband try to engage the slide stop while I used both hands to fully hold the slide back, and it wouldn't go up. I finally did get it, but I have no idea what made the difference.

Member #
    Liked
    2586 times
    how about taking it to where you bought it and show them exactly how you put it back together, maybe he can point out whats wrong.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    An easy way to lock the slide back without having to push the slide release/skide lock, is to insert an empty mag and cycle the slide. Also it is easier to hold the slide and push the gun forward with the grip hand instead of holding the firearm and moving the slide backwards.
    Willboat likes this.
    He Who HESITATES has LOST

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jimmy View Post
    how about taking it to where you bought it and show them exactly how you put it back together, maybe he can point out whats wrong.
    That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. It's about 30 miles away, BUT, it's on the way to the range . Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links