Shield field strip/reassembly question
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shield field strip/reassembly question

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoti View Post
    I have the same problem sometimes. I think it's the spring not seating correctly even though I have aligned it correctly. If you rack it a couple of times when it gives you the problem it will eventually pop into place and then the slide will move far enought so you can use the slide stop lever to lock it back.
    Thanks Zoti! You know I really thought I had it all the way back, but when the problem stopped I figured I hadn't. My other pistol has a little half-moon where the spring seats in the middle, so I may not have had it lined up properly.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    I just got a new Shield 9mm and love it. When I was in the store I field stripped it using the trigger pull method, and put it back together, no problem. I went right to the range, shot it and brought it home. After I cleaned it I had a terrible time getting the slide to lock back before rotating the take-down lever back parallel with the slide. What I was first trying to do was to slide the slide all the way back on the rails, lock it back and then rotate the take down lever, but I couldn't get the slide to lock back.

The manual says: "Move the slide rearward until it engages the rear frame rails. Push the slide stop up to engage the slide stop notch. Let the slide move forward as the slide stop is held up to allow the slide stop to engage the notch and hold the slide open. Rotate the take down lever 90 degrees counter-clockwise so it is parallel with the frame before allowing the slide to move forward to the closed position." So is that first sentence telling you to just let the slide engage with the rails, or to forcefully push it all the way to the rear? The slide stop doesn't want to go up, even with the slide all the way back, but after many, many, MANY tries I finally got it to catch. I just field stripped it again using the sear deactivation method, and had the same problem getting the slide stop to engage.

It definitely seems different than my XD9SC. Can someone help? Thanks!

I had the same problem with my new shield. It is very stubborn. When I tried to reassemble it I could not get the slide to come all the way back to a point where I could reengage the down lever or the slide lock, something seem to be blocking it. I checked that spring was center and reseated it a couple times. Once I intentionally put it in not centered and the problem got worse as expected. The next day I tried rotating the coil and finally the slide locked. Now my soar hands can take a day to recover!

Also, I noticed that with an empty mag installed the slide will lock back automatically, but I cannot get it to release by pulling the slide back. With the mag removed, I have no problem. Is this typical?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pkennedy678 View Post
    I had the same problem with my new shield. It is very stubborn. When I tried to reassemble it I could not get the slide to come all the way back to a point where I could reengage the down lever or the slide lock, something seem to be blocking it. I checked that spring was center and reseated it a couple times. Once I intentionally put it in not centered and the problem got worse as expected. The next day I tried rotating the coil and finally the slide locked. Now my soar hands can take a day to recover!

Also, I noticed that with an empty mag installed the slide will lock back automatically, but I cannot get it to release by pulling the slide back. With the mag removed, I have no problem. Is this typical?
    Yes, with the mag in, you have to manually pull the slide stop down for release by design. That's why your slide locks back on the last round. Anyways, I'm having this same strange issue. My hands are now killing me. I just purchased my M&P shield .40 today. I had to install the recoil spring about 15 times before I could get the slide all the way back. I had the same "something was blocking it issue". I'm pretty sure it's the recoil spring and I'm thinking after I put about 500 rounds through it, it should correct the issue. I did notice when before I stripped it for the first time, the slide acted like it was going to hang up when I had it all the way back. Since I field stripped it, it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue... Here's a picture of the top of my RSA... Shouldn't that be even??

Name:  spring_zpsfd0087d3.jpg
Views: 5297
Size:  26.4 KB
    Last edited by glocksocks; 05-25-2013 at 02:47 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41123 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'm sure someone here will be along to help.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2953 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glocksocks View Post
    Yes, with the mag in, you have to manually pull the slide stop down for release by design. That's why your slide locks back on the last round. Anyways, I'm having this same strange issue. My hands are now killing me. I just purchased my M&P shield .40 today. I had to install the recoil spring about 15 times before I could get the slide all the way back. I had the same "something was blocking it issue". I'm pretty sure it's the recoil spring and I'm thinking after I put about 500 rounds through it, it should correct the issue. I did notice when before I stripped it for the first time, the slide acted like it was going to hang up when I had it all the way back. Since I field stripped it, it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue... Here's a picture of the top of my RSA... Shouldn't that be even??

Name:  spring_zpsfd0087d3.jpg
Views: 5297
Size:  26.4 KB
    Next time I take mine down I will check, but if my memory is serving well I don't believe mine looks like that.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    I have the 9mm Shield, which has been absolutely flawless for me with less than 500 down the pipe.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169753.089592.jpg
Views: 6497
Size:  144.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169766.752730.jpg
Views: 5263
Size:  141.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169798.235729.jpg
Views: 6031
Size:  124.6 KB

You may want to make sure that its seated all the way down on the barrel. I noticed when I replaced mine moments ago, I realized the spring could snap down more firmly in place.

Hope this is helpful.
    "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” - Aldo Gucci

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I have the 9mm Shield, which has been absolutely flawless for me with less than 500 down the pipe.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169753.089592.jpg
Views: 6497
Size:  144.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169766.752730.jpg
Views: 5263
Size:  141.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370169798.235729.jpg
Views: 6031
Size:  124.6 KB

You may want to make sure that its seated all the way down on the barrel. I noticed when I replaced mine moments ago, I realized the spring could snap down more firmly in place.

Hope this is helpful.
    I see where your RSA also looks kind of mine towards the top but if you'll notice, it's still below the top. On mine, the spring is above the top of the plastic. S&W is shipping me a new RSA after I sent them my picture. I still haven't test fired mine yet because I didn't want to risk it with the way my RSA looked. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow, they ordered it for me on Tuesday 05/28. Can't wait to get it on the range! I'll be getting a Crossbreed minituck for it. Can't wait to see the difference on carrying this IWB vs. my crossbreed IWB with the XD40SC.

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Excellent. I think their customer service is fantastic. IMHO, the Shield is about as perfect conceal carry gun as there is. There is good reason they've been so hard to find.
    "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” - Aldo Gucci

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links