M&P 22 - Fun, more fun, inexpensive
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

M&P 22 - Fun, more fun, inexpensive

My M&P 22 arrived on 5/9 and that night I gave it a good ole cleaning in preparation for today, range day. I got as much of the factory preservative off as I could possible get with my swabs, cloths, and brushes. I am the owner of a full-size M&P 9 so I was looking forward to the relatively same size .22lr platform.

My initial impression was that the weapon felt solid. The frame felt as if it were the standard full-size M&P with the large hand-grip attached which was a positive to me personally. The M&P 22 does not have interchangeable backstraps so for it to come with a large hand-grip was the best possible option for me. The aluminum slide is much lighter than its steel counterpart on the full-size models and naturally the recoil spring has less tension to compensate for the .22 round. However, the firearm cycled perfectly, felt and sounded like a well-made instrument.

Out at the range today I brought along 1100 rounds of .22lr ammo from three different manufacturers, but only had the energy to expend 500 rounds. Need more magazines!

Federal Bulk Pack - 36 grain Copper-plated Hollow-Point
    Winchester Dynapointe - 40 grain Copper-plated
    CCI Mini Mags - 40 grain

I started out with the CCI Mini Mags and put 100 rounds through the pistol downrange at a 3 yard target. I experienced 0 malfunctions, FTFs, FTEs etc. The weapon performed flawlessly. I have fired numerous target 22s prior to this and was always somewhat "undertained" by them; never could get too excited about them. However, the M&P 22 performed very similar to larger caliber models. I personally felt more in the frame of mind that I was using a combat pistol and not just a dinky target 22. The pistol actually responded with a bit of recoil and muzzle flip adding to the excitement.

Following that I set it the target out to 7 yards, switched up ammo to the Winchester Dynapointes and decided to point-shoot from a tactical/close ready position in 2 shot sequences. Doing this I put roughly 200 rounds downrange...again with 0 problems from both the pistol and the ammo.

Lastly I set the target out to 25 yards and decided to check accuracy. I switched to my Federal Bulk Pack - 36 grain HPs and personally got pretty good results. After 200 rounds I experienced only 2 failure to feeds (not sure of the reason).

After 500 rounds and only 2 failure to feeds I consider this to be a perfect addition to a gun safe or collection. Its a reliable, accurate, enjoyable and most importantly (for me) cheap to shoot. I felt no guilt after today's range visit. I spent a fraction of what it would have cost me to shoot larger calibers. I feel my money was well spent, and I'm glad to add this to my quickly growing firearm collection and addiction.

I was not bothered by the clumsy ambidextrous safety. I may remove it in the future for appearances only. I could do without it. The only thing that brought some concern to me was the trigger reset early on in the break-in period. For the about the first 75-100 rounds the trigger reset felt slow and gritty. It came around to a normal reset following the initial 100 round break-in and I attribute that to the shipping preservative working its way out of the trigger area. You'll see visible of the preservative in the photos below.

Following the range I brought it home and decided to take some photos. Didn't clean it; wanted to display its proud breaking-in appearance. Hope this helps some of you if you're thinking about plunging into a combact/tactical .22 pistol. Oh yea...my Ruger SR22 is on the way...will probably do a comparison once it comes in.

Member #
    Liked
    6698 times
    Congrats on the new pistol and a great range review
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Thanks for the great review and welcome to the forum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Shot mine again yesterday. Not one hiccup with an assortment of brands, even some really cheap stuff ran fine through it.

Very good review. Thanks!

Links