M&p shield review: Iphone like buzz, but does it deliver?

View Poll Results: ARE YOU PLANNING ON BUYING THE SHIELD?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

62 43.06%
  • NO

50 34.72%
  • ONCE IT'S PROVEN

5 3.47%
  • MAYBE

27 18.75%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: M&p shield review: Iphone like buzz, but does it deliver?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26382 times
    I just had the opportunity to watch the entire video.
    Very well done. You should consider doing many more of these, if you haven't already.
    I got to see the Sheild today over at Cabela's. Like all the M&P's the slide is very well made, the machining is perfect from what I could tell. It's all M&P without a doubt. I didn't realize that it has a Stainless guide rod. That was a very good point you made about the extra weight and that it is there. You don't find stainless rods on most pistols, not even on the $700 Walther PPS.

Thanks for the great job, and sharing your solid observations.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I voted no. I dont like the looks of any of the M&P series guns. I think the Sigmas look better.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not getting one.either, I already own a 9c and am very happy with it...

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Very happy shield owner

Name:  Semi-auto's 057.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  93.2 KBName:  Semi-auto's 058.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  45.6 KBName:  Semi-auto's 059.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  51.0 KB

I was one of the lucky ones that picked a shield up last week. I was unaware ( I guess I live under a rock ) that Smith was coming out with a new gun. I just happened to go into my local gun store to get some ammo and I saw it there and bought it the second it hit my hand. I have been to the range a couple of times and LOVE this gun. To be fair, I am a big fan of the M&P lineup as a whole so its not too much of a surprise. Its kind of funny that they came out with this as I was really close to buying a Karh but did not like the long trigger pull. For those of you who have never shot a Karh PM9, the trigger pull is really, really long. I don't carry very often and I wanted a small gun. I have a G26 glock and in my opinion this is twice the gun of the glock for concealment purposes and you are only giving up 2 rounds going to the single stack - 2 rounds thats it. I agree with MrColionNoir on about 98% of what he said in the video, especially when you consider its made in the USA, has S&W's warranty / service and the very reasonable price point along with everything else. Personally I like the triggers on the M&P's and this one is the nicest one yet. Just my $0.02.

Just as a sidenote the shield comes with an accesory catalog with lots of choices from manufacturers you trust along with Part numbers and prices:
    Blackhawk holsters
    Crimson Trace
    De Santis / Fobus / Galco
    Laser Max
    and more.
    pops, TBONE47, gearchecker and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    18232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DocZeus View Post
    Very good review, MrColionNoir.....I'll have to take a look at one tomorrow.

It seems much better than the Kimber "Solo" that came out last year.....

DocZeus
    AKA
    David
    I have a Solo. And a Sig 238. And a few J frames. Now it looks like I need one of these. When will this "need" stop?

BTW, there were so many problems with the Solo, it hasn't been fired since coming back from Kimber. "Only reliable guns are interesting guns if you plan staking your life on them"
    TBONE47 and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14001 times
    The point is.....they made the Shield for the average person. One gun can not be suitable for everyone. If you've got big hands......you NEED a big gun! NO doubt about it! For most people, it sounds pretty good, but I wonder how it compares with the Ruger LC9, and the Walther PPS. I noticed that all the semi-autos do weigh in at about the same as my all steel M-36 at 20 ounces. Load them, up with 8 rds.... and they weigh more than the M-36 with 5 rds.

The ideal lightweight still remains the Scandium S&W J frame revolvers......if that's what you want. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but, I know......my steel M-36 kicks pretty good with +P ammo. Just sayin'.....Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    From what I have heard you can't run the LC9 over 100+ rnds and not have a sore hand. You can easily fire the Shield comfortably all day because of the low recoil and nicer/typical M&P trigger (however, the Shield has a better stock trigger than the larger M&Ps)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    The point is.....they made the Shield for the average person. One gun can not be suitable for everyone. If you've got big hands......you NEED a big gun! NO doubt about it! For most people, it sounds pretty good, but I wonder how it compares with the Ruger LC9, and the Walther PPS. I noticed that all the semi-autos do weigh in at about the same as my all steel M-36 at 20 ounces. Load them, up with 8 rds.... and they weigh more than the M-36 with 5 rds.

The ideal lightweight still remains the Scandium S&W J frame revolvers......if that's what you want. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but, I know......my steel M-36 kicks pretty good with +P ammo. Just sayin'.....Bob
    I am assuming you haven't shot the Shield? If so, even big hands can easily/correctly hold and fire the Shield because of the grip. It's contoured differently from the 9c, having a slightly longer grip. I would bet that few guys have bigger mitts than hickok45

M&P Shield - YouTube

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    I have handled the Shield. I have no feeling either way about it. I just prefer revolvers to auto's and yes I do own auto's. Colt 1917 auto, Colt Rail Gun, and the Colt Rail Gun in 22lr which is a blast to shoot. There are a lot of revolvers I would like to own more than another auto. Also I hate hunting for brass, as I am getting an RCBS reloader, so I am saving all my brass now.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
    2 Timothy 1:7

Member #
    Liked
    8370 times
    I reckon I have no soul.
    While I'm sure the Shield fills a niche, I reckon I'm not in it, as the gun holds no allure for me. My poly-gun needs are satisfied by a Glock 29 which gives me 10mm performance and that makes it a "go" for me.
    I have an XD 9 for a truck gun (if it disappears for any reason, it's not a heart-breaker) and my "stylish" 9mm-esque requirements are well satisfied by an FN Hi-power or a Colts super 38 LTWT Commander. So, the Shield just isn't on my radar.

(stodgy,boring)Mike
    Tripmaker and Dalan like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Links