Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shield vs Sig P938 vs Glock 43 vs Walther PPS M2

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Shield vs Sig P938 vs Glock 43 vs Walther PPS M2

Hi all,

First time poster looking for an EDC. Concentrating on the single stack 9MMs. I've narrowed my list down to the four listed and seeking perspective from others.

First off, I really like the Sig P938. I'm pretty accurate with it and I really like the size. I wasn't a big fan of the Shield but it's growing on me. I'm pretty accurate with it as well but I'm better with the Sig. The Sig and Shield are my two leaders as the have manual safeties. Coming from 1911s, I like a manual safety.

The Glock is a Glock and I shoot it well. The Walther I have never shot (but plan on it this week). While I'd prefer a manual safety it's not a deal killer hence why these two are included.

Any benefits of the Shield over the three I have listed? Any body shot all four and have some additional thoughts?

Oh forgot to add....the price of the Shield makes it very attractive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sportymonk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    60006 times
    1st welcome to the friendly forum. Did you try a Sig 290? Similar controls to a Glock 43 & much better quality @ a similar price, I'm very happy w/ mine. The sig 938 is a fine gun as well. I have very little experience w/ the others.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    7338 times
    All are good choices, guess its how they feel in your hand. Welcome from New Mexico
    jmccas and sdismukes like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5619 times
    I have both a 9mm Shield and a Sig 938. The biggest thing for me is that the barrel lengths are the same so performance doesn't change, but the Sig is smaller and fits my hand more comfortably. But, it is about twice the price. The Sig shoots to point of aim where the Shield shoots low, for me. The night sights on the Sig are so bright I can see it sitting on my night stand in the dark. I did install some tritium sights on my Shield but they are not as bright.

They are both quality pistols but I prefer the Sig.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    1st welcome to the friendly forum. Did you try a Sig 290? Similar controls to a Glock 43 & much better quality @ a similar price, I'm very happy w/ mine. The sig 938 is a fine gun as well. I have very little experience w/ the others.
    Thanks for the input! I have never shot the 290 but I should put that on my list. I can't remember why it was scratched off my list! I did try the 320 subcompact and really disliked that gun.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratzo View Post
    I have both a 9mm Shield and a Sig 938. The biggest thing for me is that the barrel lengths are the same so performance doesn't change, but the Sig is smaller and fits my hand more comfortably. But, it is about twice the price. The Sig shoots to point of aim where the Shield shoots low, for me. The night sights on the Sig are so bright I can see it sitting on my night stand in the dark. I did install some tritium sights on my Shield but they are not as bright.

They are both quality pistols but I prefer the Sig.
    Agreed, the Sig shoots really well and the night sights are awesome. There is a special on the 938 with three magazines and night sights for $539.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26821 times
    We have a SIG P938, and I carry a Walther PPS. I have handled the Glock 43, but do not yet own one. All 3 are excellent weapons.
    The biggest problem with the Walther that I can relate to is the mag release lever is part of the trigger guard.
    ~[Edit note] - I just discovered that the Walther PPS M2 has had the mag release moved to the more conventional pistol grip side location, eliminating the finger grip mag release~

If you don't have or use any other pistols with this feature, it doesn't become an automatic reflex to quickly dump the mag if needed in a hurry.
    The Walther is my primary carry piece. so I regularly practice mag dumps with their release much more often than with my other pistols.
    Practice mostly what you carry! And always be 100% familiar and automatic operating your carry piece.
    There isn't enough practice ammo you can shoot that will equal the value of your life, when the real thing is needed.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Last edited by gearchecker; 05-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    We have a SIG P938, and I carry a Walther PPS. I have handled the Glock 43, but do not yet own one. All 3 are excellent weapons.
    The biggest problem with the Walther that I can relate to is the mag release lever is part of the trigger guard.
    If you don't have or use any other pistols with this feature, it doesn't become an automatic reflex to quickly dump the mag if needed in a hurry.
    The Walther is my primary carry piece. so I regularly practice mag dumps with their release much more often than with my other pistols.
    Practice mostly what you carry! And always be 100% familiar and automatic operating your carry piece.
    There isn't enough practice ammo you can shoot that will equal the value of your life, when the real thing is needed.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Thanks for the reply. I'd definitely go with the PPS M2 if I go the Walther route.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    5403 times
    Here is my PPQm2 with a Simply Rugged holster side mag release, its my go to auto for edc
    HoggName:  PPQ 006.JPG
Views: 2331
Size:  1.45 MBName:  PPQ 005.JPG
Views: 2033
Size:  1.78 MB
    Wiregrassguy and Diabloman like this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    5403 times
    Sorry didn't see the single stack part
    Hogg