PD 329 Revolver
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PD 329 Revolver

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PD 329 Revolver

I just got word that my new S&W PD 329 revolver was on its way back from the factory with a new cylinder. It had only been shot about 200 times when I noticed deep scoreing in the ball end of the cylinder around each chamber. S&W sacknowledged that that was a recognized problem and replaced the cylinder.
    My problem is that when I asked S&W what caused it I got mixed answers. Some said don't use ball powder. Some said use bullets above 227 grains and some said said never load above 1100 feet per second.
    I'm confused and upset. I bought this gun to carry for bear protection and I want more than 1100 feet per second. I have seen nothing in writing from S&W. I did notice that the hunting model of the 329 revolver now has a stainless steel cylinder.
    Any comments or similar experience??

Member #
    Liked
    14569 times

Re: PD 329 Revolver

Getting a variety of answers from S&W, indicates to me.......they haven't got a clue. Are they going to install a stainless cylinder in your gun? Or....are they just going to replace the cylinder. Bob

I reread your post. You already answered the question. I wonder why they just installed another cylinder. I would have paid extra, for the stainless steel cylinder to be installed.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

We've all seen pictures of the eaten-up Titanium cylinders. Some can look pretty frightful. You can bet the folks who did the testing on the model know what it will do, but the guys you talked to probably don't. I'm no expert either. There are those who claim to have fired thousands of big 44 Magnum loads through their 329PDs. I'm not one of them.

Most of the intelligence I see about this problem seems to center around concerns about cleaning. Apparently the cylinder has some sort of surface treatment that can be damaged by rough cleaning and certain chemicals.

When I first got my 329, I fired some cast bullet handloads in it, and the barrel leaded terribly. I gather the barrel is stainless, so you can be as rough with it as you can with any other stainless barrel, but I decided I didn't want to be trying to clean lead out of that Titanium cylinder. I quit using cast bullet ammunition altogether and I only clean the cylinder with a nylon brush and whatever S&W recommends in the manual for the 329 - I believe it is Break-free, or something like that. I'm really careful with the cylinder, but give the barrel the same treatment I do all my other revolvers. I follow this procedure with the 340PD too, and both guns are holding up fine, but I do not use them a lot.

Since S&W would not endorse any sort of handloading, the idea of staying below 1100 FPS must refer to factory cartridges. If most 44 Magnums run right around 1180 (for 240 gr bullets), this seems a little odd at first, but there is probably some truth in it. If you want more horsepower, you might look into using 270-300 grain bullets, which I would think would give you about all the penetration you are going to get from a 44 Magnum revolver.

Keep us posted on what you learn when your revolver gets back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well the last "official" response from S&W is that there is no restriction on the titanium cylinders, but they don't acknowledge handloading and only recommend factory loads. I guess it is not surprising that that is the "company line". I suggested that without handloaders they would be out of business!
    I asked about changing to a stainless cylinder but was told that is wold not be done for free.
    I find it interesting that the PD329 is the only gun of the four 329 models made that still has a titanium cylinder! It sounds fishey to me. I have had suggeestions to buy a Ruger if I want to shoot heavy loads or sell the gun!

Member #
    Liked
    14569 times

I don't know of any Ruger in that lightweight class, in .44 Mag.. You'd probably need to go to a heavy weight revolver, but, the reason that you bought the 329 in the first place....was to save on weight! bob

lou
    Member #
    Liked
    140 times

Quote Originally Posted by redneck43
    Well the last "official" response from S&W is that there is no restriction on the titanium cylinders, but they don't acknowledge handloading and only recommend factory loads. I guess it is not surprising that that is the "company line". I suggested that without handloaders they would be out of business!
    I asked about changing to a stainless cylinder but was told that is wold not be done for free.
    I find it interesting that the PD329 is the only gun of the four 329 models made that still has a titanium cylinder! It sounds fishey to me. I have had suggeestions to buy a Ruger if I want to shoot heavy loads or sell the gun!
    I have a PD360 (.357) and as hard as it hits my hand I can't imaging anyone wanting to shoot a .44 mag. very much. If you like to shoot heavy .44 mag loads a lot a 629 would , I think, be a lot more pleasent to shoot.

Member #
    Liked
    14569 times

Well, since you already have the 329PD, people telling you to get another revolver, just doesn't cut the mustard, in my book!!!! You can shoot reduced loads in your gun, for practice, but, you can carry full power loads for when you need them. It's not supposed to be a fun gun to shoot. It's a last resort weapon.....to save your life!!!! Bob

lou
    Member #
    Liked
    140 times

I would like to shoot one just to see what it is like.ps I also have a .500 with a 8-3/8 bbl. now that is a handfull when it goes off!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well I got my PD 329 back with a non fluted stainless steel cylinder. It only added about 4 oz fo weight so it is still a very light gun to carry. I will shoot light loads for practice and load the heavy stuff for "last resort" situations. It will serve me well for what I wanted.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well, that's good to hear dude, a PD 329 is a good one you made a great choice.
    When is a croquet mallet like a billy clubs? I'll tell you: Whenever you want it to be!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links