Need The Forum Members Opinions.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Need The Forum Members Opinions.

Member #
    Liked
    2950 times

Need The Forum Members Opinions.

Hi Folks.

I just picked up this long snout 44mag today for $500.
    It is a 29-6 classic.
    Should have the endurance package on it.
    Not a collector grade since it has multiple small flaws.
    Here is where I need your opinion.
    I am not one to cannibalize my s&w's but this one just screams at me to be cut down to let's say 3".
    It has a round butt frame , and coupled with a 3" barrel and some sweet combat grips would be pretty cool.

So what do ya'll think?

Don't be shy. Tell me your opinion and why and don't be shy.
    I am thick skinned and if this is a bad idea I need to hear it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Twig.
    Name:  20160813_145008.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  2.28 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    grasshopper2 and Wiregrassguy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9247 times
    What is the length of that barrel now?

What are those multiple small blemishes you mentioned? Can they be easily corrected?
    ROBERT @ OKC USA

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    NON REVERTAR INULTUS.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

Member #
    Liked
    24816 times
    It's hard to give advise without knowing the intended use. A 44 magnum is primarily used as an outdoorsman's sidearm. A three inch barrel will rob the 44 magnum of some velocity and shooting a 3-inch 44 mag means a lot more muzzle blast too and felt recoil. Finally the longer sight radius helps with long shots. . . My opinion would be not to do it - But it is your gun.

I bought this 44 mag Classic for the endurance feature AND the long barrel with under-lug for a friendlier recoil and the long sight radius. I see a very small advantage in a 3-inch 44 magnum - I have a couple of 4-inchers, one being a Mountain Gun for easy carry when trekking in the NC mountains, just in case of blundering into a bear - but not for plinking with.
    Last edited by Triplelock; 08-13-2016 at 02:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2950 times
    Legalegal.
    The length is 8 3/8" I think.
    The blems are a little muzzle wear/slightly boogerd front sight/few specs on the cylinder and frame.
    Last edited by TWIG; 08-13-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2950 times
    Triplelock.

No real intended use I suppose.
    I do from time to time handle the big Lew Horton 44 snubs at gun shows and just have an affliction with them.
    It may just be the fact that I don't own one of those that makes me wanna chop it.
    Twig.
    Triplelock likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9871 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TWIG View Post
    I just picked up this long snout 44mag today for $500. It is a 29-6 classic.

...I am not one to cannibalize my s&w's but this one just screams at me to be cut down to let's say 3".
    It looks like a 8 3/8" to me.

I say cut it to your desired length. I am assuming that you can modify it at a lower price than do some swapping around and find a short barrel 29-6?

I wouldn't agree if it was an earlier pinned 29-2 or earlier. JMO.
    S&W revolvers and Colt 1911's
    NRA Life Membership

Member #
    Liked
    60611 times
    You're asking a guy who spent a large part of his life whacking .. er, ah modifying guns whether to cut one or not? It's not a collector piece so values aren't going to change much, finding a short M-29 to trade for is hard if not impossible. Note the sideplate & sight screws are timed possibly meaning someone already worked on the action of that one. It's already round butt so should look nice w/ combat grips... Where's the saw? Cut away! Cutting, re-crowning & touching up the bluing is pretty simple, the only thing offering a challenge is resetting the front sight, especially since that has the red insert that can melt if soldered. I'd cut it off by getting into the barrel enough to leave enough steel to keep the correct height, then silver solder, drill & tap 2 screws to mount it to the new end of the barrel (you can just silver solder it but it's a weaker bond). If you want to get clever you can unpin & remove the front sight (needs to be done so it doesn't melt the insert when soldering anyway) & hide 1 screw underneath. If it's a bit too feisty in it's lighter shorter form milder loads or .44 specials are still very effective loads. It would make a fun afternoon project, keep us posted if/when you do it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    44628 times
    I let go of a 3" 629 as the blast from the .44 mag rounds was just more than I was comfortable with. I have a 6" 29-3 which is still a handful but a LOT more manageable with full-on magnum loads.

If you just want a 3" .44 magnum, there are 629's and 29's out there already that length. Personally I really like the look of the 8" barrels with full underlugs, so cutting one down, for me, wouldn't happen. What I know about how the 3" 629 handles simply reinforces the decision.

But it's your gun! This is just my .02 worth, maybe worth .01 after inflation.
    jeepnut and Slimchance like this.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    1088 times
    I would leave it alone for all of the reasons already stated. I have a 5" 629 pre-lock that I wouldn't trade or sell, and I bought it mostly for occasional "show". It packs a wallop, but it's great with .44 specials.
    Triplelock and Slimchance like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22449 times
    Don't cut it.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links