Smith And Wesson Forums banner

S&W Model 581 - "floating hand" & "Radius stud" advantages?

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sebago Son 
#1 ·
S&W Model 581 - "floating hand" & "Radius stud" advantages?

I'm considering a Model 581 (no dash). From what I've been reading in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition, the dash -1 models had the addition of Radius stud package & floating hand. Are these features highly desirable? I'll be honest I have no idea what a radius stud package is. I'm pretty sure I know what the hand does. But "floating"?? Just not sure what that buys me.

John Murphy
Retired United States Army Officer
MP Corps (CID)
Henderson, NV

#2 ·
Re: S&W Model 581 - "floating hand" & "Radius stud" advantag

I do not really know what the differences are, but I am no expert in a revolver's inner anatomy. Some here are, though and they will be along to answer your question. My feeling is thaat you or I would likely not notice any difference.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

#4 ·
Re: S&W Model 581 - "floating hand" & "Radius stud" advantag

The Floating Hand is a "wobble fit" that supposedly makes fitting less sensitive. I suspect that the intent was to make hand-fitting more idiot proof and less time consuming. This would no doubt be a cost savings if you were making alot of revolvers in a short period of time. In reality it probably makes the fit less precise and increases the possibility of problems arising such as experienced by my pal Bill.

I believe that the "Radiused Stud" replaced the Hand Pins and allowed a broader range of lateral movement of the hand. Formerly the hand's range of operation was parallel with that of the trigger function.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.