size difference
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: size difference

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

size difference

Does someone happen to know how significant the size difference is between the cylinders on a 6 and 7 shot 686???
    More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Woody Allen, My Speech to the Graduates

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: size difference

gendarme, I don't know this as a fact but here's what I believe. Since the frame size and cylinder "window" are the same with these models the cylinder size is the same as well, the cartridge charge holes are just closer together. The weight of the "standard" 6" 686 is 44oz. and the 6" 686 Plus is 43oz. Someone with first hand knowledge of both models will chime in. Best Regards...
    Strength and Honor

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks snafu...I was looking into ordering a holster for it from comptac, however they only show that they have the 6 shot 686. I'm just trying to make sure that I $80 on a holster that I'll have to modify once it gets here.
    More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

The factory S&W website lists holsters for L-frame revolvers with appropriate barrel length. Nothing listed separately for L-frame (686) Plus revolvers. Best Regards......
    Strength and Honor

Member #
    Liked
    10888 times

OK, I'm calling 'foul' on this one.
    gendarme01, you are relativly new and I have not got used to your 'style' of writing yet. That will come in time.
    I was expecting {wanting?} a good natured conversation about 'frame' sizes involving the first four letters of the alphabet.
    Continue on with this one, I am getting to think I have been shorting myself by not having owned an L frame.
    And like I was going to say before reading your post, "Were are the pictures"
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

My fault. So I have an L-frame 686-6 plus (7 rounds instead of 6).

I have two holsters for it at the moment: a Don Hume #7 with a thumb break, and a Galco shoulder holster. About a month ago I ordered a belt from Beltman, and had them put the Velcro lining in it as I planed on getting an MTAC for my XD .45. I figured that when I ordered the MTAC, that I would order a C-TAC for the 686 as well. However, upon looking at their website it shows that they have one for the 6 shot version, and not the 7 shot. So, I was inquiring as a result if there was a difference in the dimensions on the cylinder of the two guns (6 vs. 7 shot) that would create an issue in the fit of the gun into the holster. I really do not enjoy having to get out the heat gun to reshape Kydex.

Sorry for the confusion in the first post. I looked at the wording and it didn't really come across as clear as I wanted it to.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Pics... somebody said pics 686-3 six shooter.
    Strength and Honor

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I saw one of those at the local shop the other day. I do like the hammer mounted firing pin over the new production models. Perhaps I have been lucky so far though, I have had mine for about a month and put almost 1000 rounds through it with only a few hiccups. I'm guessing that they have to do with this being my first revolver. However, I have not seen a 686 with the porting in the barrel like that. I'm guessing it makes it a little more enjoyable to shoot.

Member #
    Liked
    3645 times

Quote Originally Posted by azmick
    OK, I'm calling 'foul' on this one.
    gendarme01, you are relativly new and I have not got used to your 'style' of writing yet. That will come in time.
    I was expecting {wanting?} a good natured conversation about 'frame' sizes involving the first four letters of the alphabet.
    I somehow think Mick is talking A, B, C, D, and DD. My imagination may be reading between the lines. We will see if he mans up.
    [email protected]

Member #
    Liked
    118 times

Quote Originally Posted by RdrBill
    We will see if he mans up.... [email protected]
    First he'll have to wake up..... Bet Old Mick is sleeping it off..... :P

".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links