Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Does this make me "grumpy".

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  medalguy 
#1 ·
Is it just me ? It bothers me how convoluted S&W has let , what should be an easy numbering system (there really are lots of numbers) get to be. And yet they keep muddying up the water. I look at a thread ( sorry Undertaker, not picking on you , just an example) that says 327 . So I think , Cool, the forgotten monster 32. Nah, O well a good read anyway, but then it moves into model 627 so I think , Cool , I got one of those. Nah , different gun, mine only has 6 holes in the cyl. You know, like a stainless model 27 would have.. 632s have been different calibers , 17s have had different lengths and number of shots. I guess I can't complain about lug/no lug / slab side but that could make a different model.
I don't know , getting old and cranky . then there is that wrong side of bed thing.

#2 ·
No not cranky. I only remember them as I buy them. This is a cool little snubby, oh it's a model 36....etc.. And why does a stainless version need a different number? But a nickel doesn't? A model 19 is blued. ..or nickel. ...but in stainless it's a 66?!?!?!?!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Seems the worst travestys began when models grew a third digit. Witness the 632. Started life as a 32 mag ,airweight centennial with fixed sights. When revised to a 632-1 it now had a exposed hammer , adjustable sights and was made out of stainless and chambered in .327 . Should have been a 631-1 instead . Can't use model number 327 as that is a .357 and o yeah model 357 is a 41 mag. Makes your head hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.