Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bruce
  • 2 Post By huntershooter

Thread: Just Thinking Out Loud...

Member #
    Liked
    7819 times

Just Thinking Out Loud...

Over the last 30 years I've owned a pile of S&W revolvers. They have all be wonderful. Some I have enjoyed more than others. A few years ago I bought a 21-4 NIB from a LGS. To my eye it looked like a .38 M&P on steroids. I've decided it is just about the best revolver anyone could buy for SD/HD. However, I have also decided that there are a few things that can be done to make it better.

I'm thinking of having a front sight installed that has a trijicon front sight element. I figure this would greatly enhance low-light use of the revolver. As well when the time came, replacement of the bulb would not seem to be difficult.

I'm thinking of having the cylinder milled for the use of clips. From what I can tell, this would allow me to shoot .44 Special ammo in six round clips while at the same time allow me the option of being able to shoot the revolver with plain unclipped ammo.

Finally, I like the round-butt, but I prefer a square-butt grip more. I have tried a pair of Pachmayer Presentation grips which are currently on my 625-2. I like the way the Pachmayer's feel on the 21-4. I am thinking that I will try to find someone who can make a set of nice wood grips that are shaped the same as the Pachmayer Presentation grips, i.e., with the closed back and small rather thin profile. I'm first going to look around and try to find a set of the large Pachmayer Presentation grips to see if I like that size better. Then I'll see about having the wood grips made.

I don't know if it is possible to have the rear of the frame drilled and night sights fitted. I can not see what this would not work. But, I've not seen any examples. Possible I'm thinking of something that has not been done.

Oh well... tell me what you think. Is this just foolishness? Has someone already done something like this... or maybe come up with a better idea? Sincerely. bruce.
    huntershooter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    Bruce,

My piddly two cents worth.

I would consider a laser, to see if that would get it done.

I have three guns with fiber optic sights fitted. A Browning Buckmark came stock and I fitted both my Ruger GP100's with them. They work great in very low light conditions. Worth a look.

I have three guns fitted with concave gold beads. They work well in lower light. I had Nelson Ford in Phoenix fit my model 28 with one. He milled off the stock sight, dove tailed a mount and fitted a gold bead to the replacement, which he pinned into place.

I have a 625 as well. Chamfering the cylinder makes the moon clips slip in for a fast reload. I can imagine using clips in the model 21 might be a nice feature.

The model 28 lent itself to my front sight modification, as there was material attune end of the barrel to dovetail into. I tried to do it as part of upgrades to my old model 10. Ford indicated that even with the bull barrel, he couldn't fit a handmade gold bead to it.

Ford can do the work you describe, if it is possible to make the mods. I know there are other excellent Gunsmiths who could as well. If you describe the work you want, he likely could help you. Reach him at *thegunsmith.com*.

My 625 is my most customized gun. Not so much invested as some have with their guns here. Trigger jov, chamfered cylinder, gold bead, sharp edges off trigger and hammer. I have oversize grips from Hogue in Tulipwood on it.

It was worth it. It fits my hands like a glove. I love 1911's, but the .45 ACP begs to be shot in a revolver. I would do it again.

Member #
    Liked
    1156 times
    As far as the grips you mention, Herrrett's makes their "Shooting Master" which are about spot on for what you mention.
    I'd contact Dave Dawson @ "Dawson Precision". If he doesn't retro-fit Trijicon element to a fixed front sight-he'll know who does.

Herrett's:

K22 and Wiregrassguy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6291 times
    Sounds like a great project. I have seen in a magazine somewhere the type of rear sights your talking bout, and i'll see if i can find it and tak a couple page pix n see what they were called. Having a 21-4 like a 625 with moon clips sounds awesome as well, hope it all works out just how ya want it. Mike
    MIKE 3:16 YOU GOT TWO OPTIONS AMIGO, SLIM AND NONE!

Member #
    Liked
    10749 times
    think I would have to look at a set of laser grips. For low/zero light applications, a shotgun with a light is my 'go to' choice for self defense
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    33021 times
    Bruce ,

A set of Crimson Trace grips would solve both sight problems , for SD work .

And I've found that CT grips are a very good fit to my hand .

If you want wood , there are several RB to SB conversions available .

To add a rear sight to that gun would be pretty expensive .

If you put a good tube sight on the front and shoot it a bit I'll bet that you will find no need to upgrade the rear .

As for milling the cylinders , well I wouldn't spend the $ unless I was shooting competition . A speed loader is just fine for me , but each to his own .

And if 6 don't stop the threat ............. well you know .

Finally , I wouldn't discourage anyone from making any and all upgrades to a piece carried for SD if they felt it would improve the gun for them . Good luck .

Regards ,
    George
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41145 times
    Bruce,
    I recommend that you give Bob Cogan (ACCURATE PLATING AND WEAPONRY | APWCOGAN) a call and tell him what you are wanting to do. If you can envision it and it's possible to do, he can do it. Just read the front page of the website and you'll see that he isn't fly-by-night, by any means. He's not cheap, but he's also not expensive. He's done work for me and I'm very pleased with the finished products. As I said, I recommend him.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Member #
    Liked
    7819 times
    This is what happens when I've been up to many hours. I've been pastoring churches for the last 30 years. Currently I am serving four small rural churches. And, last night I guess i was doing a little dreaming out loud. I very much appreciate the very help feed-back.

The truth is I might do better to just put some of those Herrett Shooting Master grips on the 625-2. Since it already uses clips, I'd be home free for fast reloading. And the truth is, it has the very best DA and SA trigger pull I've ever used on any revolver period.

I hadn't thought about the CT grips. And... because my brain sometimes simply fails to function, I didn't even think about speed loaders. That was really foolish. The truth is, with the CT grips and speed loaders, I'd be well set with the 21-4 for what I was planning, i.e., a big bore revolver set up for SD/HD in low or even no light.

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    I have CT grips on my GP100 and couldn't hit a lick without them. 80 yr old eyes u know

Links