Need Opinions ... Brand New "Classic" Chief"s Special..Good? Bad? I know it aint ugly
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need Opinions ... Brand New "Classic" Chief"s Special..Good? Bad? I know it aint ugly

Member #
    Liked
    1812 times

Need Opinions ... Brand New "Classic" Chief"s Special..Good? Bad? I know it aint ugly

So,..after looking at used S&W Model 36s, both in online auctions, and in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson,....between being confused of what features are better than others, what years are better than others, and seeing how high "nice condition" S&Ws go for on auctions,....I'm now thinking I might be better off buying new.

If I buy used, I will want it one owner, really nice, with the old box and papers and all.
    If I go too old, the thing can accidently fire the round under the hammer if it's dropped (not sure what year they made the safety so it won't do that).

There's a brand new gun,..."The Classic" (150184). I can get for about 600 bucks, NIB, untouched and unscathed. It's the exact style I like,...it even has that diamond on the grips, I like that a lot. Those diamonds seem to have been discontinued in the early years of the production of the Model 36 ("the book" says 1968 if I'm reading it correctly).

A nice used one is going to be that much it seems, but am I getting a better gun if I find a mint condition, in the box, Model 38 from the 1970s or 1980s? And will it hold it's value more than the new one will,..even if I use it as my carry piece and probably rub off some of the blue?

I need opinions from experienced gun guys please! I'm trying not to make the wrong decision and with suggestions and opinions, I won't.
    Thanks

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6374 times
    While I don't have a new 36, I have several of the newer Smiths. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that 36 and shoot the heck out of it! It it's the exact style you like, go for it. If you are buying for collector value, obviously one of the older ones is the way to go, and I do believe they're fitted and finished better. For carry, and as a shooter, personally I'd buy the new one at that price.
    Duane

Member #
    Liked
    21456 times
    IMHO if your looking at investment the pre lock with pinned barrel is always going to be worth more then the new ones if your looking for a shooter get whatever you can get a deal on

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1812 times
    Name:  1967b.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  96.9 KBName:  1967.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  82.5 KB

This is the old one I'm considering. The finish is....wow.
    Wiregrassguy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2586 times
    Name:  DSCF0363.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  3.63 MB
    i don't know its kind of what you want most. i don.t think either one is a bad deal. i always buy new guns only because i am afraid of someone who knows nothing tried to fix or improved the use one. i think that both of them will also hold there value for a long time. how about this, ss and nickel guns show less wear than blue and are easier to clean. this is a 36 classic in nickel which smith doesn't make anymore. its about 2 years old
    Alnamvet68 and Wiregrassguy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jimmy View Post
    Name:  DSCF0363.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  3.63 MB
    i don't know its kind of what you want most. i don.t think either one is a bad deal. i always buy new guns only because i am afraid of someone who knows nothing tried to fix or improved the use one. i think that both of them will also hold there value for a long time. how about this, ss and nickel guns show less wear than blue and are easier to clean. this is a 36 classic in nickel which smith doesn't make anymore. its about 2 years old
    1jimmy, let me know when obummer care takes a toll on your finances, and Romney care socks it to ya' in the Mass, all while getting your hours cut so that your employer doesn't have to provide healthcare, and...and...I'll buy your gun ricky tick.Name:  pissonya.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  15.5 KB
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.

Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing an idiot.

Member #
    Liked
    1812 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alnamvet68 View Post
    1jimmy, let me know when obummer care takes a toll on your finances, and Romney care socks it to ya' in the Mass, all while getting your hours cut so that your employer doesn't have to provide healthcare, and...and...I'll buy your gun ricky tick.Name:  pissonya.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  15.5 KB
    And you can use the money I send ya for yours,...to get his!

I've always bought new guns also, all 2 of them, but I'm seeing shinier old ones and thought maybe I wouldn't lose the "drive over the curb" money like I will with a new one.
    Add to it, the history factor of the old gun, along with it's original box and papers, not sure which to get.
    May have to buy both!

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    20639 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rugersandsmiths View Post
    Name:  1967b.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  96.9 KBName:  1967.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  82.5 KB

This is the old one I'm considering. The finish is....wow.
    I'd take that one in a heart beat.

Member #
    Liked
    1812 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    I'd take that one in a heart beat.
    Thank you, it's a 1967.

Member #
    Liked
    8370 times
    rands,

Re: That "old" 36 you featured, if the other side is just as pretty, then THAT gives meaning to the old saying, "Dat rat-der is whut ah'm tawkin' 'bout!"

Depending on who and where, that is $350.00 to five-bills gun.

Fine example of the breed and I'd buy that one before I'd have three new ones, "Classic", or no.

Mike

My Oath, taken in 1973, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, stands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links