S+W Revolver Best Buy?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

S+W Revolver Best Buy?

Okay we all know the price of a good revolver is high, we also know we'll continue to buy them anyway. I recently bought my first S+W revolver and much like my leverguns, I'm hooked. So I was wondering what you consider to be the best buy in a S+W revolver today?
    Thanks,
    Don
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig."
    Jon "Stuffit" Cambell
    1/4/39-1/6/09

Member #
    Liked
    28958 times

Re: S+W Revolver Best Buy?

Hi Don, glad to hear you made the S&W plunge, your addiction is just getting started! I would be curious to know what you have, J, K, N frame, barrel length, finish, model? I don't think there is a specific answer to your question as there are so many factors to consider. I probably follow the general concensus that most here prefer older, pre-lock revolvers, but after that, there really is no "Best Buy" that we could all agree on. Frankly, every S&W acquisition I make seems to be my latest best! That of course is the addiction speaking! I'm sure some of the more sage and experienced members here will weigh in, they're a wealth of knowledge. I strongly encourage you to go back and search some of their previous posts on all types of things Smith & Wesson. Good luck and welcome aboard!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    14717 times

I had 4 S&W .38's that I got years ago, because they were cheaper to buy used. I bought 3 of the 4 that were Police trade-ins for under $200. These are very often bargains that haven't been shot much, but show some holster wear, and often beat up grips, from being banged around getting into squad cars.

They are around $250, nowadays, but are getting harder to find, due to the change over to semi-autos by most Police Departments. You can get M-36's, 10's, 13's, 64's, and 65's. All have been used as former Police revolvers. They are all great shooter quality revolvers....usually about 85% condition. If you're looking for revolvers to shoot.......they are a great source. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud2
    I would be curious to know what you have, J, K, N frame, barrel length, finish, model?
    It's a Model 19-5 4" blued!
    Don
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig."
    Jon "Stuffit" Cambell
    1/4/39-1/6/09

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Sure there's a simple answer; A Model 28!!!!!!
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K
    I had 4 S&W .38's that I got years ago, because they were cheaper to buy used. I bought 3 of the 4 that were Police trade-ins for under $200. These are very often bargains that haven't been shot much, but show some holster wear, and often beat up grips, from being banged around getting into squad cars.
    Bob
    Bob,
    I have noticed J+G selling Police trade-in Model 64's from $189-249 and have been considering them. They all have bobbed hammers, but still seem like a very good buy and worth considering. http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smi...ath/16_211_431
    Don
    Jon "Stuffit" Cambell
    1/4/39-1/6/09

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I saw a really good buy this afternoon - a model 66 in very clean condition for around $389. I did not have the heart to look at it too closely 'cause I was picking up my 'new to me' model 686! Have to admit that while I was filling out the required paperwork, I was admiring that saucy little 66! Might just have to go over and see if it's still there next weekend. I'll be proud to post some pix soon on the 686. It's exactly what I've always wanted.

RR
    It takes me all day to do what I used to do all day - but I still enjoy doin' it!

Member #
    Liked
    14717 times

Don, You can't go wrong with that kind of deal. If you are comfortable with the .38 spl. cartridge, (I am!!! ) you can't beat a stainless 64 for carry. It's as basic as it gets!!! Of course ....you already have a M-19 .357, anyway. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Gizamo

I'll second the Model 28...
    Everyone should own at least one some time. The earlier it was manufactured, the better....

giz

Member #
    Liked
    10931 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gizamo
    I'll second the Model 28...
    Everyone should own at least one some time. The earlier it was manufactured, the better....

giz
    Motion passed

I seem to be looking at used S&W semi-autos too. If the 4566 I have is an example of the average 3rd gen semi S&W was putting out, they deserve a look {and a feel, a magazine full of shots}. Have I mentioned I really like the 4566
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links