Can't see mod. 60 front sight. What do you paint yours with?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Can't see mod. 60 front sight. What do you paint yours with?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Can't see mod. 60 front sight. What do you paint yours with?

In low light or dark backstop the front sight disappears in the rear sight channel. What would you recommend to paint the front with that won't wear off from edc in a leather holster? Can that ramp be replaced by a gold bead or something similar?
    Thanks
    msharley and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    38395 times
    Nail polish is pretty durable and cheap to touch up. It also removes easily with acetone. Testors model paint has been used by many people also. Both work best with a base coat of white

Member #
    Liked
    15332 times
    Hey Redeemed,

Welcome to S&W.

Like Jonesy says. Wipe it with acetone (nail polish remover). Hit it w/hair dryer/heat gun. Paint white. (use toothpick)

I like the "Day Glo Green" fishing lure paint. On top of the white paint.

If you are more talented, grind a spot in the front sight. Paint white. Then a drop of GOLD paint. (poor man's McGivern/Call Bead).

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9446 times
    Nail polish or Testors model paint
    msharley, DrDoctor, lawdog and 1 others like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    20590 times
    I used white out on my model 36.
    Oldgungeezer and msharley like this.
    everyone brings happiness, some by staying and some by leaving...

And As You Slide Down that Banister of Life You Should Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...

Bob.

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    I use fingernail polish. white base followed by orange. degreased with fingernail polish remover first. long lasting

Member #
    Liked
    15195 times
    It won't help to see the sights at night.....but I've used Revlon Red nail polish for 20 years. It works very well for fast sight acquisition in low light! Still use the same bottle, even though I have to 'touch up' a few times every year. It's very durable stuff. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    785 times
    As a follow-up to Msharley’s comment – if you’re REAL talented, you could re-contour your existing front sight, putting a flat on the posterior side of the sight perpendicular to the barrel, drill a small hole in that flat, and then insert a brass or gold bead into that hole. The beads that I’ve seen have a very small stem under the bead itself. Since gold’s soft, I’d make the hole a snug fit, but not tight, and then use red Loctite in the hole when inserting the stem of the bead – it won’t fall out!!! That's what I'm contemplating . . . Regards.
    Last edited by DrDoctor; 03-25-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    15195 times
    OR......you could just install a Red Dot sight. It truly is amazing what it will do for your accuracy. My groups went from 4" at 50' to under 2" when I installed a fairly cheap $20 Tasco Red Dot. I bought a better Red dot for $70, but it doesn't make a difference in shooting, only in durability! It does not matter. You could buy 4 Tasco Red Dots, for $80!!!!!

You can ALWAYS see the lighted red dot! In low light.....it is hard to see the target, only. That is my personal experience....take it or leave it!!! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    61302 times
    If your front sight is pinned it can be replaced w/ a fire sight, I did that to my pet Model 60-14. I've drilled a hole in the ramp of a couple & filled it w/ florescent nail polish. Both work very well.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links