First day out with the 642
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: First day out with the 642

Member #
    Liked
    698 times

First day out with the 642

So I waited patiently to get out to the range today to try out the 642 I picked up last Tuesday. Whew it was a long wait.

I really didn't know what to expect but I did wonder whether the light weight was going to make it not fun to shoot.

I loaded up some 158Gr SWC with 3.5 gr of hp38, Some with 4.0 gr of hp38, I had a ton I loaded previously at 4.5 gr of hp38 and I made some with 3.5 gr of Titegroup. in addition I brought 5 rounds of the Federal HST micro +p

I had been dry firing some 20 or so times each evening since I got it and really liked the trigger. While its a touch heavy its smooth all the way through and my sights werent budging so I felt pretty good going in ... except I didnt know what recoil would feel like. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and like blasters but snappy little guns can be more annoying than fun.

Well .. the 642 was amazingly fun!!

I didnt know how far out to shoot having never owned anything this itty bitty so I settled on 7 yds. Here were my very first 5 shots at 7 yds.

Name:  642target.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  419.6 KB

Unfortunately .. I was aiming dead cent of the number and they shot al little high. The hp38 with the coated 158 gr makes a big POOF of smoke so after I let off one round it can act as a cloaking device hiding me from assailants!!

I shot more of the 3.5 HP38 and continued to place them a a touch high. Dont know if it was me getting used to the sight position or ?? I moved it out to 10 yds and they went a bit higher. All though in the strike zone on a silhouette with ease.

I tried the titegroup but didnt care for it as much. It smoked less but it felt snappy instead of thumpy so I let the wife shot the rest of that batch from her gp100.

I moved up to the 4 gr of hp38 and still no surprises. I fired rapid fire and the gun doesnt hurt and recoil I thought was still very mild. I then went with the Fed HST .. sweet little round with a nice report, no smoke and lo and behold .. to exact point of aim. Either i was just getting a better handle or the gun just liked the bullets a bit faster.

Just because I had to see .. I loaded up 2 of the rounds I made with 4.5 gr of hp38 ... still absolutly easy to control and recoil was easily manageable. I didnt want to beat up the little guy so I only sent 2 rounds of that down range to see how it handled the recoil.

What a neat little gun!! LOVE IT.

I ordered up some underwood 158gr LSWCHP standard pressure and I have a feeling me and this little gun are going to spend a lot of time together! All in all about 100 rds down range today and it was a blast!

Did a bunch of rounds through my 686 .. Man the trigger has smoothed out wonderfully and I was killing it all the way out to 25 yds. Great range day!

Member #
    Liked
    4606 times
    Unfortunately .. I was aiming dead cent of the number and they shot al little high.
    Seriously? I wouldn't be too concerned
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    4289 times
    Nice shooting. That one should make a great EDC gun.
    Boriqua, Curt360, Injunbro and 2 others like this.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    85476 times
    Great range report! Glad you like the newly acquired 642, and you will get better with it, just like getting used to shoot anything else. Thanks for the report.
    Oldgungeezer, Boriqua and jeepnut like this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    I fired 5 more at the "9" and they went through the same hole above .. cept I was still aiming for the "9"

couple more visits for me to get good and used to it but .. really much more fun than I had anticipated. Highly recommend this gun. I even like the little rubber grips! I may have to find a steel J frame as a range toy .. its too fun.
    Last edited by Boriqua; 12-02-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Curt360 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Nice
    Boriqua likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    860 times
    Boriqua-I had a similar experience with my 642. It’s the only “ lock “ gun I have. I was concerned the trigger would be stiff. Recoil would be tough to handle,etc. It turned out to be a real pleasure and my go-to when I want a second gun or just a pocket gun. Excellent weapon!
    Curt360 and Boriqua like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1253 times
    I wouldn’t worry about that 642 at all. For social work, that’s still going to hit where it matters.

I have a no lock 642 that is a constant companion, with an Apex Duty kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boriqua and Curt360 like this.
    Dave

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39932 times
    That is some nice shooting!
    Curt360 and Boriqua like this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    6651 times
    Congrats on your new M-642, I love mine.

Regardless on my main battery, a M-642 is always with me.
    Boriqua likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links