Finally did it. NEW GRIPS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Finally did it. NEW GRIPS

Member #
    Liked
    317 times

Finally did it. NEW GRIPS

I have been looking since shortly after buying my gun. The 3-5-7 grips that came with the Talo edition were awful. Looked sweet but they are not rounded off where your web is and while I prefer hard grips to rubber, these were killing me and I am not one to complain about recoil. In addition .. I couldn't use a speedloader with them so .. off to the bay they went.

Tried VZ combat grips and they too looked great and they gave me zero hot spots but ... Im not sure what it was but it seemed to force my hand lower than I wanted and as a result I didnt shoot my best. I dont have very large hands and fit somewhere between a medium and large size in most gloves. Large being a touch to large and medium being a touch to tight. I suspect that the first finger cut out was designed to low for my smallish hands but .. they went to the bay.

Now .. I tried the Bantam grips from Hogue. Actually really pleasant shooting if a bit small and for $22 it was hard to complain. However when I practiced drawing from the holster which I do now and again I found, especially with IWB holsters, that how I grabbed it was how it would stay. Meaning if it didnt feel like it was in my shooting hand zone it wasnt going to go there because ... well its rubber and it does rubber things and sticks where you put it. They feel awesome at the range but my 686 is often on my hip so it has to be functional and I didnt like the hit or miss on the grip so I was back to wood.

Goodness .. it took months. I had read good things about Ahrends but .. they aint cheap and I would look and then flinch. Well .. Sold off a motorcycle tool I no longer need and instead of doing the responsible thing and putting the money in the bank for whatever ... I went ahead an bought the grips I had been looking at.

I got the Walnut with Tung oil. It has a nice grain and while there are prettier woods ... again this is a user and I liked its subtlety. If it were a man I would say they were Ruggedly handsome instead of model boy pretty. Nothing wrong with either just my preference. I went the extra for the tung oil so it can age with me and be easier for me to repair.

Without further spewing at the keyboard .. here they are. Oh wait .. Not only are they handsome They melt in my hand. Fit like a freagin glove. Will probably give them a go tomorrow at the range.

Name:  ahrends1.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  865.2 KB

Name:  Ahrends2.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  Ahrends3.JPG
Size:  796.7 KB

Name:  Ahrends4.JPG
Size:  745.5 KB
    mrerick, Curt360, KZero and 17 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3619 times
    I love the way those look! Very nice!
    Curt360, bluecar and jeepnut like this.
    Kenny

Member #
    Liked
    81838 times
    Very Nice! Glad you found something that works for you. Please post range report afterward to let us know how the new grips function for you.
    bluecar and jeepnut like this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nice. I recently bought this exact gun and agree with you completely about the stock grips. My hand was taking a beating from the recoil of .357 rounds. I'd like to get some rubber or synthetic grips that would solve this problem, but I'm not sure which would be best. I won't be drawing from a holster like you - the gun will mostly be a range queen I think. Intuitively, it would seem like any grip that left the backstrap exposed would be asking for trouble. What do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Workin' gun, workin' grips!!!! Very handsome, indeed.....nice choice.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kancamagus View Post
    Nice. I recently bought this exact gun and agree with you completely about the stock grips. My hand was taking a beating from the recoil of .357 rounds. I'd like to get some rubber or synthetic grips that would solve this problem, but I'm not sure which would be best. I won't be drawing from a holster like you - the gun will mostly be a range queen I think. Intuitively, it would seem like any grip that left the backstrap exposed would be asking for trouble. What do you think?
    The back strap really isnt the issue. It would seem to be the issue because your brain says.. "hey there is only metal back there" but that metal backstrap fits very neatly in the space where your thumb joint meets your hand and really is a non issue.

I had a 629 and would shoot a hundred rounds and not have the same pain I would get with those 3-5-7 grips using 38+p. The problem is at the edges. If you look down at the grips from the top you can see that it would seem like it has a squared edge on either side that someone just took a little round over to. So it actually makes a flat from left to right and that slightly rounded over edge was the cause of my dismay because instead of fitting neatly in the groove god created in my hand they would bang on the bone.

My VZ grips were Hard Plastic but the profile was right and while I didnt shot them as well as I have shot with other grips .. they never caused me pain.

If you look at my 3rd pic below and you can see it bigger by right clicking it you can see that where the web of your hand goes there is a nice smooth transition forward from the steel backstrap toward the front of the grip. Now look at the 3-5-7.

So it has never been about the material for me .. its about the shape. Having said that .. If your not going to use your gun outside of range .. Hogue makes a variety of rubber grips that are a breeze to install, CHEAP, comfortable to shoot with and dont get dinged. I really liked the hogue bantam and shot really well with them but .. I might go with a slightly longer grip if it were relegated to range use .. maybe .. the bantams were/are pretty nice. Usually on amazon or ebay for about $22
    Last edited by Boriqua; 11-08-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    26664 times
    Those look great! I Like the dark walnut in contrast to the stainless gun
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5298 times
    I think they are beautiful. But I am a sucker for fiddleback in walnut.....
    jeepnut likes this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boriqua View Post
    The back strap really isnt the issue. It would seem to be the issue because your brain says.. "hey there is only metal back there" but that metal backstrap fits very neatly in the space where your thumb joint meets your hand and really is a non issue.

I had a 629 and would shoot a hundred rounds and not have the same pain I would get with those 3-5-7 grips using 38+p. The problem is at the edges. If you look down at the grips from the top you can see that it would seem like it has a squared edge on either side that someone just took a little round over to. So it actually makes a flat from left to right and that slightly rounded over edge was the cause of my dismay because instead of fitting neatly in the groove god created in my hand they would bang on the bone.

My VZ grips were Hard Plastic but the profile was right and while I didnt shot them as well as I have shot with other grips .. they never caused me pain.

If you look at my 3rd pic below and you can see it bigger by right clicking it you can see that where the web of your hand goes there is a nice smooth transition forward from the steel backstrap toward the front of the grip. Now look at the 3-5-7.

So it has never been about the material for me .. its about the shape. Having said that .. If your not going to use your gun outside of range .. Hogue makes a variety of rubber grips that are a breeze to install, CHEAP, comfortable to shoot with and dont get dinged. I really liked the hogue bantam and shot really well with them but .. I might go with a slightly longer grip if it were relegated to range use .. maybe .. the bantams were/are pretty nice. Usually on amazon or ebay for about $22
    Good insights - thank you. Just ordered Hogue Bantam from Amazon.
    Last edited by kancamagus; 11-08-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26376 times
    Wow, they're beautiful. Congrats on such a great find.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links