Question on part compatibility
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hondo44

Thread: Question on part compatibility

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question on part compatibility

I have a 629-6 and a buddy of mine has a unfluted cylinder for a 629-2 that he got in a “parts box”. Would that cylinder work in my 629-6?

Member #
    Liked
    11460 times
    Nope it won't Cylinders have to be hand fitted to the particular gun and the hand that turns the cylinder. Its a job of a qualified Gun Smith who specializes in Smith Wesson Revolvers. They are not drop in parts.

Hope this answer's you question
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    25162 times
    Layne, can it be made to work? He didn't ask if it would just drop in, though you do sort of get that impression, but you're saying a gunsmith could possibly do it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    Layne, can it be made to work? He didn't ask if it would just drop in, though you do sort of get that impression, but you're saying a gunsmith could possibly do it?
    Yes, a good gunsmith, familiar with S&W could.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    1019 times
    rdenisj523,

Welcome o the forum.

Let's not make a mtn out of a molehill. When you've tried a few you learn the main rule is there are no rules.

They can vary from a drop-in to needing timing and length adjustment.

The closer the two cyls are to the same vintage, the better the chance for a drop-in. A -2 to -6 is highly likely.

The overall cyl length is much more often what may need fitting; gas ring to frame and/or barrel/cyl gap.

Timing not so much especially when both cyls have the same # of chambers or only one chamber difference. And of course it's a simpler process if the replacement cyl has its original extractor star.

But it's not rocket science. Proper guidance from here on the forum or a book, some mechanical aptitude, a little dexterity, and the will to learn a little is all you need.

I suggest you borrow the cyl to try, then we'll know where you stand. The extractor rod in your -6 has a left handed thread, therefore unscrews by turning it clockwise when looking at the front of the cyl.

Here's an L frame 586 .357 with a 696 44 Spl 5 shot cyl that dropped in (timing and length):

The same cyl dropped into this 296 5 shot 44 spl to replace the Ti cyl:

Let us know how it goes if you try it and most of all remember it can be fun to personalize your gun,
    Jim
    Last edited by Hondo44; 09-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    needsmostuff likes this.

Links