Model 19 Classic - improved focing cone?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Model 19 Classic - improved focing cone?

Member #
    Liked
    15197 times
    Jonesy, I hope that S&W did address the problem on the new Classic M-19. I hope it does mean that, anyone who had a cracked forcing cone on the original K frame, can now get them fixed, with the new barrels installed by S&W! But, I'm probably wrong about that. We can only hope. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewelshm View Post
    So did you buy one yet mate?

thewelshm
    Hopefully soon, but that little voice in my head is saying "wait a little longer, you don't need it now, have patience." I hate that voice.
    Thewelshm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8193 times
    Re: Barrel replacement. If the threads, etc. of the new barrels are compatible with what was used on the earlier Model 19's, it would seem that all one would have to do is mill/file the bottom of the barrel where it projects into the frame window so that the necessary clearance was present to allow the cylinder to properly close. An advantage would be that a otherwise unusable Model 19 could be returned to service with a barrel that offered the current improvements in metallurgy and heat treatment as well as any improvements made in the throat, etc. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    Bob K likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8833 times
    The new barrels are a two piece design and are not compatible with the old guns. Sort of like the old Dan Wesson system they use a barrel and shroud. Not interchangeable however.

Sorry.
    Last edited by CajunBass; 09-18-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    Injunbro likes this.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Member #
    Liked
    5214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Jonesy, I hope that S&W did address the problem on the new Classic M-19. I hope it does mean that, anyone who had a cracked forcing cone on the original K frame, can now get them fixed, with the new barrels installed by S&W! But, I'm probably wrong about that. We can only hope. Bob
    Smith won't work on the old 19's and if the new ones have 2 pc bbl's you'd be sol anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    15197 times
    I don't have a problem with my M-66-1 2 1/2". I don't shoot it much, but when I did, it would be only with .357 Mag 158 gr. Med. Vel. ammo.......which doesn't cause a problem, I guess! Just wanted to explore some options. Can the re-barrel be done by a quaflied gun smith? What would it cost? Is it worth it?
    But.....It might be better to use up my .38 Spl.+P 125 gr. Jacketed ammo or 158 gr. LSWC reloads that I purchased years ago. I have enough that....I could shoot, once in a while....for years to come. Bob

Member #
    Liked
    61323 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    I don't have a problem with my M-66-1 2 1/2". I don't shoot it much, but when I did, it would be only with .357 Mag 158 gr. Med. Vel. ammo.......which doesn't cause a problem, I guess! Just wanted to explore some options. Can the re-barrel be done by a quaflied gun smith? What would it cost? Is it worth it?
    But.....It might be better to use up my .38 Spl.+P 125 gr. Jacketed ammo or 158 gr. LSWC reloads that I purchased years ago. I have enough that....I could shoot, once in a while....for years to come. Bob

Any qualified gunsmith can swap a barrel. Using the correct ammo like you do (& works fine for stopping anything smaller than a grizzly) causes no problems.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    15197 times
    I ain't heard of a Grizzly around these parts, ......but, I heard rumors of Big Foot near the VT. border! But, I have seen a Black Bear about 450-500# wandering around the Berkshires in Savoy, MA.. I have heard of Black Bear, about the same weight, taken near Mt. Tom Reservation. (About 5 miles east of where I live.) That's a pretty big bear!!!! Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links