S&W Revolvers weaker than Ruger and some others?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: S&W Revolvers weaker than Ruger and some others?

Member #
    Liked
    16190 times
    I'm not interested in +P+ anything. As far as guns I like forged parts over cast parts. I guess that's why I don't own any Rugers but that doesn't mean I don't like them. I do lurk at the Ruger forum now and then, just haven't joined.
    jeepnut likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21753 times
    While I have more interest in Smith and Wesson firearms, I also have some Rugers.

Apart from their innovative approach to production (which increases quality and precision a the same time it reduces waste and costs), their mechanisms are quite clever.

The GP-100 / SP-100 revolver action is among the most interesting I've ever examined. Besides eliminating the need for a "side plate", it's a unified removable unit, on par with the M1935 and SIG P-210 modular action.

It's worth getting a copy of "Ruger and his Guns", a book published in 1994 about the origins of Ruger, and his approach to design, process, production and business. He's unique in his way of doing business, and unique in some very responsible ways:

• Ruger operates without corporate debt. They invest in plant out of retained earnings, not loans.
    • Ruger sells only through master distributors, and has no warehouse for finished stock. They ship it when they make it.
    • Ruger has been a good investment - not stellar, but solid. They make money for their owner / investors.
    • Ruger deals with critical suppliers and skills by acquiring them using retained earnings.

I guess, in the gun industry, Ruger just "thinks different"...
    Injunbro, Bob K, Thewelshm and 2 others like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    I have only one Ruger revolver. It’s a 44 Mag Redhawk and the thing is built like a tank. I do like the modular nature of the trigger mechanism too but overall, I still prefer my K and L frames. I may pick up an SP100 some day but just have not found one for a decent enough price to give it a go.
    Thewelshm and lawdog like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3167 times
    I shoot Underwood +p .38s in my Heavy Duty- but that's what it was designed for: 158 gr/1250 fps. I agree, there's not need for +p+ ammo, just go with a bigger gun.

e.g.: 44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. Hard Cast, L.F.N. - G.C. (1,425 fps/M.E. 1,533 ft. lbs.)
    460 Smith & Wesson Ammo - 360 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. (1,900fps/M.E. 2,860 ft. lbs.)

Just reach for the 460.
    Bob K and lawdog like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

It's the United States, not the United Provinces: Invoke Article V. Repeal the 17th.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    a little off topic... so for you guys who don't reload... what do you use for 44 rem mag range ammo.. what are you payiing per round...
    and secondly, for those who do reload what is your cost per round

Member #
    Liked
    10520 times
    Honestly, I own more Rugers than Smiths, but I wouldn't be loading +P+ in anything I shoot. At my age, I've got nothing to prove.
    ~Jerry | https://www.buckeyefirearms.org | http://orpa.net
    Life Member https://www.dav.org/ | NRA Distinguished

Member #
    Liked
    10520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    While I have more interest in Smith and Wesson firearms, I also have some Rugers.

Apart from their innovative approach to production (which increases quality and precision a the same time it reduces waste and costs), their mechanisms are quite clever.

The GP-100 / SP-100 revolver action is among the most interesting I've ever examined. Besides eliminating the need for a "side plate", it's a unified removable unit, on par with the M1935 and SIG P-210 modular action.

It's worth getting a copy of "Ruger and his Guns", a book published in 1994 about the origins of Ruger, and his approach to design, process, production and business. He's unique in his way of doing business, and unique in some very responsible ways:

• Ruger operates without corporate debt. They invest in plant out of retained earnings, not loans.
    • Ruger sells only through master distributors, and has no warehouse for finished stock. They ship it when they make it.
    • Ruger has been a good investment - not stellar, but solid. They make money for their owner / investors.
    • Ruger deals with critical suppliers and skills by acquiring them using retained earnings.

I guess, in the gun industry, Ruger just "thinks different"...
    No warehouse for finished stock makes everything else happen. No finished goods sitting on the floor and just enough components to keep the lines moving. It's all about inventory management. Make what the customer wants and have it available at the dealers for the customer as soon as its released. Works every time.
    Injunbro, Bob K and delcrossv like this.
    ~Jerry | https://www.buckeyefirearms.org | http://orpa.net
    Life Member https://www.dav.org/ | NRA Distinguished

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21753 times
    All this got me searching around the Internet, and whoa and behold, a very disturbing photo collection turned up:

https://www.pinterest.com/et3abaugh/kaboom/

A large number of the photos appear to be caused by squibs.
    lawdog, Injunbro and delcrossv like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    12826 times
    Lots of gun Kabooms....from a lot of different guns. Doesn't prove to me that S&W's are weaker than the others. I do wonder how many were from 'bad handloads' though! Bob
    lawdog and Injunbro like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    26873 times
    I'm not sure this has to do with 'stout' frames, but I've stated before, if I was in the market today for a NEW snub-nose revolver, it would be the Ruger LCR. The stock trigger action is as smooth as you're going to find in a S&W that has been optimized post-purchase. I also personally can attest (through shooting experience) that they present a lesser felt recoil than S&W snubbies. My son has a .357 caliber version, however I've only shot 38 Special rounds through it, but in those shooting opportunities, it sold me on its value. Beyond that, I believe I have only 2 revolvers on hand, but I've had several others that are now in the hands of family members. I have several Ruger semi-autos and have owned others. If I see a good price on either, I'll snatch them up without hesitation.
    mrerick likes this.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Links