Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 1 old 0311
  • 1 Post By FlaRon

Thread: Help identify my Mod 38

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Help identify my Mod 38

On hearing I was in the market for a pocketable carry weapon, my father saved me some cash and also began handing things down to me... I'm now the proud owner of my grandfather's Model 38. I'm trying to get a little more detail on the origins of this weapon and could use some help. Here's are the characteristics/markings:

- Shrouded hammer
    - Barrel marked "AIRWEIGHT 38 SPL CRTG"
    - Serial number: J881xxx (on butt of grip)
    - Frame marked "MOD 38"
    - Cylinder swing arm marked "56975" with a "B6" below that

Any help figuring out the details on this would be appreciated. This weapon has been often carried, rarely shot, and from the looks of it never cleaned. It's got what I've seen described as "Army finish" (a bit of rust) in the internals, dust in every crevice, and there isn't much shine to it in many places. I want to restore this weapon to what it once was including some new grips without major dents/chips and a solid refinish of the surfaces.

I'd post pictures but I'm a doofus and left my phone (with the pictures) in my car today. Before I do anything to the gun I'll document the "before" condition. It won't take a lot of effort to make it look like the poor ladies on the infomercials who aren't allowed to wear any makeup or get a hairdo for the before shot.

PS - 1st post here. Now that I own 2 Smiths, I should probably become an active member and not just a lurker.

Member #
    Liked
    6831 times
    Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

My S&W standard catalog is on loan or I'd run the numbers for you. I imagine a member with theirs handy will be along anytime with your "born on" date...

NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. Looking forward to figuring out how much older than me this gun is.

I'm especially curious what the last marking is. The serial and caliber are no-brainers. But I'm completely puzzled by this other set of marks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    752 times
    Looks like it was made in 1981, if I'm correct.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So I am a bit older than the gun. That works for me. I knew it had been around for as long as I have any memories. Thanks for the info.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8390 times
    Post some pics and hang around for awhile. This is the best forum out there-some real experts here but I'm not one of them. I've learned a lot since I've joined. Hope you stick around and please post some pics. Best regards Dick
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Member #
    Liked
    2797 times
    Welcome. I have carried one in my pocket for decades. Best of both worlds. These are so they can last my lifetime, and many family lifetimes. I am, like a LOT of people, not a fan of the new Bodyguards.

blitzen25cat and Wiregrassguy like this.
    When I was young my Mother told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Turns out the police call that 'Identity Theft.'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19536 times

Cool

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

Visit and post often.

I use to have an all stainless steel Model 649 until my wife decided it was going to be her CCW.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  103.6 KB
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    Wiregrassguy likes this.
    "Unapologetically American"

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Member #
    Liked
    60254 times
    First, welcome from Arizona! I've carried a nickle model 38 for years... had to buy my wife a new model 638 (stainless) so I could keep mine. IMHO they are the ideal self defense carry gun. Yours should be a great self defense gun as well as keepsake.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcomes.

I REALLY planned on getting some "before" pictures of this gun. After the wife & kids went to bed, I got out my cleaning gear and was going to set up for a couple of shots with the camera. But while fiddling with the cleaning stuff I just couldn't stop myself from jumping into the job. So I'll have to post some "midway" shots. The gun is in as good and clean a condition as I can get it without a full breakdown. I haven't studied the internals enough and don't have the specialized tools I think I need to start tearing the action apart. But all externally accessible parts as well as those that can be accessed by removing the right-side plate have been shined up. I will probably give this thing a couple more cleanings before loading it up for some range time. I will get some pics up soon...

Links