Black Bear vs. .357 Magnum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Black Bear vs. .357 Magnum

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    It was many, many years ago, but a chance encounter I'll never forget, and meeting a bear was the last thing on my mind at the time. No way out so I had to pull the trigger.
    .45 Colt Single Action loaded with 255 gr. lead SWC and 8.5 grains of dirty old Unique powder.
    One lucky shot between the running lights & it was all over. And yes, I was scared shi*less.

Attachment 7959
    And did the bear mention anything about that "dirty old Unique"?
    Crazybastid83 likes this.
    “The philosophy of the classroom today will be the philosophy of government tomorrow” Abraham Lincoln
    ” The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men.” Plato
    "Be polite, be professional, but make a plan to kill everyone you meet" Operators world wide

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Great story!!!! I have my doubts that the bear actually knew what the firearm was, but me thinks that he got the scent that you were a predator as well and could probably hold your own....course what the heck do I know, our dog hates it when I clean my firearms.....
    “The philosophy of the classroom today will be the philosophy of government tomorrow” Abraham Lincoln
    ” The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men.” Plato
    "Be polite, be professional, but make a plan to kill everyone you meet" Operators world wide

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Name:  Rayburn Hutch cut.jpg
Views: 5718
Size:  97.4 KB

Grasshopper, yes I too was that close. I would have reported it to the rangers. A man has to do what a man has to do. I don't hunt, but I will take game to survive of course, I am not goofy. Being a pro photographer for many years I've carried thousands of dollars of camera equipment on the job, plus my .45. Once a couple of dudes thought they carry my stuff home... well they thought wrong. In Utah three hill boys came over to my VW van at a rest stop to entertain my girl friend for a few hours... again my S&W 19 stopped the show. Just the sight of my weapon has always been enough, if its not, I wont hesitate.
    In the outback you have to be smart and aware, you want to enjoy the world out there, but not become dinner for the four legged kind.
    Thanks for the responce from you all. I have read back to Thread 135, this is very interesting. Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Very interesting story. You are from southern california right?

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Wow, that would've made a great "This happened to me" story in Outdoor Life (do they still publish those?) You're braver than me, I would've gotten the heck out while the bear made off with the food!

Feral hogs, skunks, and rattlesnakes are about the only threats in North Texas, and the last two don't need to be shot unless the skunk is rabid.

Member #
    Liked
    2796 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
    What an incredible story!We used to refer to that as " Unassing the A.O.".I run into black bear and browns all season (May-October) and I never fail to have a complete meltdown every time. Frankly they scare the helloutta me and I ain't ashamed to admit it.I've carried 41's, 44's and 45's. Never felt undergunned with any of them. My current protector is a 45 Colt New Vaquero.It's kept me alive so far.

+1. Ain't a lot on this planet that really frightens me but bears top the list.
    When I was young my Mother told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. Turns out the police call that 'Identity Theft.'

Member #
    Liked
    10071 times
    Yep, now when I go "Bare Huntin' " , I just make sure n' take my old huntin' partner Frank along......
    I don't run as fast as I used to........
    But I can still run faster than old Frank.......

1 old 0311 and Rapidray like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4385 times
    We have Black Bears here. Apparently in numbers that allows our county of residence to be included in a limited state mandated Black Bear hunting season. That’s the first since we’ve resided here. They’ve been here for awhile but small in numbers. One of our pear trees was more or less devastated by the world’s largest raccoon know to man or a small black bear. Branches were broken off to the extent that we thought the tree would be a totaled. Hunters that we let on the property for dear season have reported seeing Black Bears.

I’m live and let live with animals except when they become a nuisance with deer falling into that category (Six per tag this year). I’ll probably not allow the hunting of Black Bear on the property this year.

I’ve taken Black Bear but not here in North Carolina with both pistol and rifle. It can be done with a 357 Magnum but it in my opinion falls into the category of a stunt. Its all in shot placement.

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Just to be clear, when the bear came down the hill towards me there was no place to retreat to, open ground and tall trees where the branches start at 7 feet up. There was nowhere to run and hide. I refuse to be beaten, robbed or eaten. I will not be a victim so I choose to fight. I am not stupid, any bear can get the best of me, but it is going to be a fight. A Grizzly bear is different, way different.
    Yes I am from Santa Monica California.
    In Australia we had crocks and all kinds of deadly snakes and spiders, hell they had everything that kills. You walked differently in the bush. I was there for five years, saw everything, loved it. However they most challenging thing were Aussy girls. Too right mate!

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    I carry my Model 27 whenever I am out in the woods. I prefer a good load of 2400 with either a cast SWC (preferably the 358156 or 358429) and I can tell you that will put a hurting on any bear. I have always advocated carrying a handgun you can shoot better even if it is a bit less powerful than say a .44 Magnum. Not everyone can shoot double action rapidly in a big bore gun like the .44 or .41 Magnum let alone a Casull or .500.
    "No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links