Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Heaven & hell !!!

Member #
    Liked
    6721 times

Heaven & hell !!!

Ok here we go,
    Went to my first gun show today, what a experience, you see my black plastic bottom feeders & my 22 rifles were all purchased at big retailers mostly because I live close to them and they always seemed to have what I was looking for on sale, so now that I have a interest in revolvers (when I say revolver I am usually speaking of something with blued steel & wood grips ,I like the nostalga) I find the selection of DA revolvers in the big retailers is rather limited, a spattering of Taurus and S&W with rubber grips ,and usually even though a manufacture may make a model in several different calibers and barrel lengths (example sp 101) seldom does the store have all of them so you can actually handle them. so if my quest for a small to medium frame 22 DA revolver revolver is to continue it looks like gun stores,pawn shops & gun shows and of course there is the internet gunbroker ect... (but i want to hold it before I buy it) so this brings me to the title of the post Heaven & Hell. the gun show was a mix of mostly bottom feeders, some rifles & accessories as you would expect & just enough revolvers to keep you interested,well actually not enough revolvers, then I came across this table probably 8-10 feet long stacked about 4- 5 boxes high with new in box never fired all the packing & papers Colts Diamond backs , Police positives ect... S&W model 18's and more and then wow what I went looking for, there they were a model 34 "4" & a model 63 "4" new in the box never fired all the cleaning accessories & papers. as I stood in awe the vendor came by and asked me if I would like to see them. I said sure, he stongly cautioned me not to spin the cyl or pull the trigger as he stood over me with a spray can of rem oil waiting to spray her back down (understood ) I WAS IN HEAVEN !!! then the HELL. $850.00 Well I never expected to find 2 never fired new in the box kit guns but I also did not want to take out a mortage to by a 22 either, the vender said the price was not negotiable, so I moved on, found one more model 34 but in "2" at least he was in the ball park and willing to negotiate it was not new but in really nice condition going to hold out for a 4 inch. so I estimate this guy had at least 100 brand new in the box out of production highly sought after revolvers where do these guys get this stuff ???
    I will probably wake up tonight dreaming about this one table I saw today at the gunshow !!!!! P.S nice to see BC2 - BC3 & James at the show today, sorry I missed you Injunbro
    USAMP likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    West of heaven and just east of hell...buckeye az
    Liked
    504 times
    Next ten gun showes will have the same guys and the same guns...Of course you will see a few new ones in the mix. Seems most vendors are really collectors who will pay $70-100.00 per table to show them off... Good to see you too... P.S. I picked up a model 29-6 and a 629-1...Just couldn't help myself....
    Last edited by gygaz59; 06-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    DocZeus and USAMP like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26880 times
    I totally understand the Heaven and Hell analogy. It's right on target too. I went to the last Spokane gunshow looking for a shotgun to try my hand at trap shooting. I found a Franchi trap gun that made my heart skip a beat. The balance was perfect, and it was like new. But the seller wanted about $100 more than I had to spend on one, and he wouldn't negotiate. I tossed and turned that night, all night long. I had to go back the next morning because I had to check it out again, just to be sure. It was still there and the price was still not negotiable. I wandered around for about an hour gnawing on the idea of spending more than I planned on a shotgun that had limited or no future use to me if I didn't like trap after all. While wandering around like a deer in the headlights, I came across a Browning Pump that had a 30" barrel and the balance was excellent. I saw the price. and made a really lowball offer. To my surprise, the seller said yes and I bought it (I should have offered less, stupid me!). So now I have my shotgun for trap shooting. A week later I bought another O/U double 12 just to be sure I had my bases covered.

Honestly, looking back I should have bought that Franchi. I'll look for it at the next show. If I see one I'll buy it. Even though it's going to be more than I plan to spend.

The moral is this.
    If it's what you want, and you're going to shoot it, buy what you want without the regrets. Even if it's a few bucks more than you plan. Don't let the dealer skin you, but get it while you can if the chance arises. The "Grail gun" to your collection is always the hardest one to find, and passing up on one is even harder than paying a little more than planned.
    You did well by passing up on the safe queens, they're not much fun to only look at every once in a while. Your shooter will find it's way to you in good time. Be patient, it's already got your name on it, you just need to get together.

By the way, this was the same show that USMC Snakedriver picked up his NIB ultra-mint condition Stainless Delta Elite. It was a really good show this time, for both of us.

Regards,
    Gregory
    Last edited by gearchecker; 06-03-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    60285 times
    By the time we got there all of the 34's & 63's must have migrated... didn't see a single one or anything else I really wanted. There is a used 4" Model 18 @ Cabelas for $600+.
    We got there late enough that I missed seeing all of my forum family. Next time guys!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    Where I live(beside's the local show) you have to go to Tulsa or OKC for a big show. I've got it out of my system an went to the "Wanna-Faker" show. Besides table after table of "bennibabies" and Jerky, and all the blackgun stuff, you just wind up with sore feet.
    I'll stick to my local gunstore here in town, and gunbroker. I'm not much on crowds, or folks having family reunions in the middle of the isles, plus some foks need to bathe, an brush their teeth before coming to those show's!!!!!
    critter, Bob K, YoungGuns and 1 others like this.
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Member #
    Liked
    6831 times
    "...where do these guys get this stuff?"

Rich safe queen loving hoarders.
    DocZeus likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    28958 times
    It's true, Critter drug me over to see for myself. This guy must have had a store at some time and simply held on to the good stuff for today's market. There were way too many there that I'd love to have, BUT, I would want to shoot them and I'm not going to pay that kind of collector premium for something I would agonize over shooting, best to keep haunting the pawn shops and classifieds. Hang in there Critter, something will turn up buddy!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    33023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    "...where do these guys get this stuff?"

Rich safe queen loving hoarders.
    MD ,

hoarders has such a negative connotation ! Perhaps we could call em affectionados ...............

And I reckon that when the guns hit the tables , the affectionados are taking the dirt nap . Sadly .

Regards ,
    George , an affectionado ( unrich ) of sorts
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    The scary thing is they will get that asking price. I found the 617 I wanted with the forged parts and choked at the price. I went back the next day and it was already gone. Someone else clearly didn't choke like I did and now they have one sweet shooting 617 with all forged parts and no ILS in the side. Regrets? I have a few...
    DocZeus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6721 times
    when I saw the 34 & 63 I was in awe, new in box unfired all the papers and accessories wow !! but even if I would have had the $$$ I probably would have passed because as Gearchecker mentioned I enjoy shooting my weapons, especially my 22's
    just so much fun & the mrs & I can shoot all day long & throw in a few rounds of the higher caliber stuff here & there .as pristine as those two were I would hesitate to shoot them & they may become safe queens & then I would go crazier than I already am !!! so I know that slightly scratched 34/63 shooter is out there just waiting for me, I just have to be patient, besides if I drop to much on that little ole 22 I won't ever have enough $$ to spend on those other S&W revolvers that are calling my name & need homes & trust me I can tell that won't be my last revolver purchase I can just feel it in my bones!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links